Can anyone tell me what an Estrella Stingray is supposed to look like?

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
I know this sounds stupid, but I ordered a Estrella ray from a wholesaler that had it on his availability list. He also had Jaguars, and castexi rays. I thought that all of these were one variant or another of an Estrella. That's where my confusion comes from, either way I can't wait to see the ray tomorrow when it arrives, then I can post pics and you guys can tell me what I have.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Regardless of what the science community calls these rays I still describe them as from the castexi family. The different names they are given like motelo, estrella, flower, high spot, otorongo, and jaguar describe the different patterns. Some grow really large where some stay smaller. Not a lot known about these types of rays in the fish tank world as they are not kept that often and if they are they are usually sold off then you never hear about them again. I keep what are called otorongo/jaguar rays. They come from a different river system than the other castexi types that are found. I could post a ton of pics for you but would not show you what yours will look like as everyone calls them something different.

corn fed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Nebraska
I can't add anything but post pics tomorrow!! I'm excited for you. I hope you get what you're wanting.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Hard to ID as pups but adults look like a jag but with smaller spots
uploadfromtaptalk1393874626683.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
Damn! I hope that's what I am getting! The price was really good and he has had the ray for 3 weeks and he says it's been eating like a pig and putting on weight. That being said, I am still nervous, but I will post pics the second I get it home.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Who knows what you will get. Estrella means star in Spanish so I think it gets it's name for looking like a sky full of stars. They do not look like that until 10-12"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
Check this out though, not only am I getting the Estrella for what I hope was a steal, I am getting a female Retic for my male to play with for $40. I thought that was a great deal as well, but like I said, we will see tomorrow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store