Dalmatian Molly Terror on new plants

adoyle983

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2014
United States
First i would like to start with the fact that i am very new to this hobby. I have already made many of the rookie mistakes thankfully none of my fish were casualties to my ignorance. I have a full size Dalmatian molly that I transplanted from my old ten gallon to my new 60 gallon(running 2 hob aqueon 50/75 filters , 2 eheim 300w heaters, two riser off of ugf with air stones). My new tank has 11 plants in it and two of them he insists on eating off right at the stem. Fish safe plant anchors didn't even phase this guy he just rips them right up. Is there any other option other than just getting rid of that type of plant. Also before I knew better I installed a UGF my plants seem to be doing fine in it but should I keep using my air stones in the UGF or would I be better of with a power head to move more water under the plates better? From all the reading I've been doing this seems to be a hot subject any helpful information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
*Man that's risky overkill on the heaters* 600watts of jager power? Yikes! If you have a heater malfunction like a lot of submersible heaters have (internal thermostat sticks on full power) it will cook/kill your fish!

My jager 300watt did the same and stuck on, luckily I had it in a 125gal and it only maxed out at 82°! But for your case 2 of them will easily bring it well over 110-130°F!

I strongly advise an external heater controller to plug both your heaters into, you set the temperature via digital display and it controls your temp with a much more reliable and accurate thermostat! I still use my malfunctioned jager that's stuck on full power because the heater controller distributes the on/off power to the heaters no matter the setting of the heater! If your new to the hobby you can bet many guys in fishkeeping that have been around for awhile have experienced heater failure and dead fish at some point..... good to learn while your somewhat new to avoid a disaster! Here's what I use, very economical and free S&H: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21333

-As for the molly try feeding more frequent or if you really want to maintain your plants then rehome it to a fish store or a friend. My Molly is good at eating algae in my planted so I'm not sure what's up with yours but make sure the plants are securely buried and are healthy cuz if their not the Molly may like them that way?

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
Molly terror lol. I believe mollies are natural vegetarians and the part of plant is probably irresistibly tasty and soft especially if it's from cuttings with lead weight. Try putting some stones around base or switch to tougher plants. Java fern Anubius and such.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sgtreef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2013
Oklahoma
*Man that's risky overkill on the heaters* 600watts of jager power? Yikes! If you have a heater malfunction like a lot of submersible heaters have (internal thermostat sticks on full power) it will cook/kill your fish!

My jager 300watt did the same and stuck on, luckily I had it in a 125gal and it only maxed out at 82°! But for your case 2 of them will easily bring it well over 110-130°F!

I strongly advise an external heater controller to plug both your heaters into, you set the temperature via digital display and it controls your temp with a much more reliable and accurate thermostat! I still use my malfunctioned jager that's stuck on full power because the heater controller distributes the on/off power to the heaters no matter the setting of the heater! If your new to the hobby you can bet many guys in fishkeeping that have been around for awhile have experienced heater failure and dead fish at some point..... good to learn while your somewhat new to avoid a disaster! Here's what I use, very economical and free S&H: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21333

-As for the molly try feeding more frequent or if you really want to maintain your plants then rehome it to a fish store or a friend. My Molly is good at eating algae in my planted so I'm not sure what's up with yours but make sure the plants are securely buried and are healthy cuz if their not the Molly may like them that way?

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Jeff

adoyle983

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2014
United States
Just ordered a couple of those heater controls thanks for helping me advert a future disaster. I have one heater set about 2 degrees cooler than the other; as I like to sleep with the doors and windows open and it sometimes get down to 5-15 degrees F in the house so it's not as much overkill as you might think i have on one each side by the water intake. Y'all probably think I'm nutz but I love it cold when I sleep! As for the Molly he doesn't seem to like to coontail plant I have so I'm going to get several of those for my guppy fry and just make sure they stay well trimmed as I've heard they can get out of control fast. Thanks for the advice.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Just ordered a couple of those heater controls thanks for helping me advert a future disaster. I have one heater set about 2 degrees cooler than the other; as I like to sleep with the doors and windows open and it sometimes get down to 5-15 degrees F in the house so it's not as much overkill as you might think i have on one each side by the water intake. Y'all probably think I'm nutz but I love it cold when I sleep! As for the Molly he doesn't seem to like to coontail plant I have so I'm going to get several of those for my guppy fry and just make sure they stay well trimmed as I've heard they can get out of control fast. Thanks for the advice.
5-15°F in your house?!! Man that could freeze pipes and cause mayhem, maybe you meant Celsius?

Good job on the heater controllers! Their awesome!

adoyle983

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2014
United States
5-15°F in your house?!! Man that could freeze pipes and cause mayhem, maybe you meant Celsius?

Good job on the heater controllers! Their awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store