Can prazi pro help a new ray to eat?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I've read in a few threads about people saying that they believe that prazi pro helps with their rays appetite. Have any of you used it just for that purpose?

For a new ray that hasn't fed yet (few days time) at what point does this call for panic? I know they can take a while to feed. Keeping lights low, water clean, and offering ghost shrimp and live blackworms. Is it just a waiting game at this point?

Thanks

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Some treat wild caught rays prophylactily with Prazi or other parasitic meds, But since Prazi only targets specific parasites its pointless unless you treat with multiple parasitic meds to cover a larger variety of parasites. Or a much stronger med that treats all.
With that being said, is your ray captive bred or wild caught. If captive bred give it plenty of time. I once had a CB pup take 9-10 days to start feeding. Keep live foods such as ghost shrimp, blackworms or even red wigglers ( they can live weeks even months in a tank unless salted). It should eventually eat.

Lights off, tank covered even turn heat up a little to increase matabolism. Main culprit for new arrivals of not eating is. stress.

If its wild caught it is more of a concern as they usually have been starved and mistreated for several weeks prior to import unless its been sitting at a vendors or wholesalers for a couple of weeks or more.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I don't think I would use prazi specifically for that purpose, especially since stress could be a factor here and medication can stress fish, but I do believe it is a side effect of it's use, a lot of my fish had their appetites boosted huge because of its use. I had 2 retics that only ate earth worms, despite how hard I tried. Day after the first dose of prazi, on shrimp and tilapia like it was never an issue, and tons of it. Be careful though because I have heard rumours (cannot confirm) that prazi can crash your biofiltration and fluctuate your PH. Don't know if this is true or not, I suspect not, but thats the last thing you want for a ray that's not eating.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
it's a captive bred ray. this is day three from relocation, hasn't eaten but I've done a even temp wc and nitrates are below 25. ammonia and nitrite are both 0. temps at 83 to boost metabolism. She's by herself with a divider to minimize stress. live ghost shrimp crawling around. her part of the tank is covered and all lights in the room are kept off. adding earthworms daily, removing once they drown. might stop with them because I have to reach in a disturb her. Blackworms get here tomorrow so I'll offer those instead because I read they like them more and they won't drown and die, forcing me to reach in a disturb her while removing the dead.

I'll just keep waiting. and let her adjust and keep offering live foods. Hopefully she starts feeding soon!

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
I would not use prazi as a food enticement. You should just offer the foods known to be successful like live earth worms chopped, live black worms, live ghost shrimp and continue the waiting game. As you said, minimize stress by keeping low lighting, water conditions etc. good luck.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
thanks for the luck. I hope she ends up being ok!

I appreciate the encouragement. if you think of any other tips/ideas let me know.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
What was she eating before you got?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Prazi doesn't have a positive effect on appetite. The increase in feeding response is related to a healthier ray eating more after taking care of parasite problem. Prazi can actually stress a ray out and slow down eating during treatment.

As stated, wait it out. That's a fairly new ray. It will take time.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Yes she was eating well before the move, can't see any "hip" bones yet.

Thanks zoo, and everyone for the encouragement. My last pair fed 30 minutes after arriving so this is different than what I've experienced before

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store