will Electric yellow female raise her fry

Argentum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
Saudi Arabia
Hello. My EY lab female has been holding for sometime I dont know how much. But I moved her to her own 20gal since I realised that.

Anyway she started eating a couple of days ago and it seemz shes crushing the flakes for the fry to eat. Today while she is eatinv on of ghe fry escaped and he was a free swimming and fast as well. She had to chase him for sometime tk get him back to her mouth.

to my question. Shouldn't she have spit them by now? If I leave her until she spits will she raise them or will she end up eatinv them eventually?

midnight_games

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2012
Albany, GA
The females will usually spit after 3-4 weeks...and then you will have maybe another week, before she abandons the fry all together. At that point she will start to eat them.
If the fry are free swimming & you want a good percentage to survive the mothers' dismissal, then I would go ahead & strip them from the female.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
they sometimes will grab some food with the babies in her mouth weather she is eating it or feeding it to the fry idk. however, it takes about 18 days just to get the eggs to hatch. after that, they can stay with the mother for a few more weeks. i have an OB hap that last time she had a batch of eggs, she held them for about a month. the fry basicly got too big to fit into her mouth. i am starting to strip the mothers as soon as i find that they are holding. it keeps them from starving themselfs as well as keeping them from getting beaten up by the others. i have never had a problem with a mother eating her own young. not saying it is impossible but i just have never had it happen. IMO once the fry are strong enough to swim normally, they are no longer in need of the mother and she can be returned to her tank.

I C Mud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2014
Winnipeg
To the OP, if you have the tank space let the mother stay by herself for a week to eat and regain her strength. When you put her back in the main tank she may get harassed and if she is fed and back to normal this will not be too stressful for her. Her conditioning will mean a healthier fish and quicker recovery imo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store