The dark side of my hobby. Some advice...

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
I ventured back into saltwater a year ago and have been growing this miniatus grouper. he's been alone for some time. At this point can I still try to add some tankmates? Species? I only tried tangs and he would beat them up badly. Tank is 120 with a 60 gal sump. Fed 4 shrimp every other day. He's 13".

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1393975120.020231.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
You'd need to find big and tough tank mates. Other groupers (non miniatus but similar size) or eels or a big trigger. Problem is most available at stores are way too small so you'll need to find someone selling a bigger one.

I think in a 120 a grouper, trigger, and snowflake eel would be awesome. Also re arrange your rocks when you add new guys to break up his territory (which is all of it now).

You have any plans to upgrade? When that grouper is more like 18 he'll feel a but cramped.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
Thanks for the input. I haven't been able to find any good size fish at lfs that I wouldn't think he would damage. I'm surprised because I used to see xl panther groupers all the time and is one of the fish I was considering.

This is one of 2 tanks and probably won't upgrade. I'll rehome him if I need too but he just sits around unless he sees his food bowl. The other has tangs and assorted fish. I pretty much had to move everyone over due to his aggression so it's quite stocked and the 30% water change weekly is no fun but oh well.

I've seen a xl porcupine puffer but I feel it will just be too cramped. Can groupers eat lion fish? There are a few volatile available. Mrs not into snake/eels.

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
A lion should be fine with him as long as you can find one big enough. Also semi aggressive butterflys like vagabond would go well, triggers, purple tang,harlequin tusk fish, larger wrasse like lunar. the problem is finding fish large enough. I have a Huma Huma with my blueline grouper

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store