best way to get bio film off my water

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
I have been thinking about this for a few days now and i cant seem to come to a difinitive answer. I have some bio film growing on the top of my water and i want it gone. it looks terrible and dont smell nice either. i have been trying to figure out how to rig up a surface skimmer to a canister filter. i know that they sell some but not for fx5s. is there another way to get rid of this junk? maybe a powerhead to stir the surface up a bit more?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I just have the outputs from my FX5's aimed up. I seems to create enough surface agitation to keep a film from forming on my larger tanks.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
i did a water change on ti yesterday were i started my syphon and then turned it upside down and vacumed it all off the top of the water and was quite pleased with myself untill about two hours later when it started to reappear.that is why i am leaning twards a power head to agitate the surface more. i think that i may need to replace the impeller on my fx5. the flow even after a cleaning seems a little low.

Bohis

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Massachusetts
I just increased surface flow and added a little bit of a waterfall effect to push the surface water back under water. if that makes sense at all.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
I just increased surface flow and added a little bit of a waterfall effect to push the surface water back under water. if that makes sense at all.
I get what you are saying. i think that i will try the surface agitation technique lol. i think i might have a old HOB laying around that i will hang on just for the flow and see what hppens.

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
In one of my tanks I get a film after feeding a certain pellet food. Its usually gone by the next day the bacterial in the tank breaks it down. You could try scooping it out with a cup. Hold a empty cup down into the water standing up right and let the water slowly creep over the edge into the cup. This works pretty well..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store