Freshwater RO System buffering and PH guidance needed

bigphil001

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2013
Lake in The Hills IL
Hi, Before anyone asks me to search I have and I read a lot. There is a lot of different information about their about what products people use and in what amounts and so on and so forth about RO waters proper use in freshwater aquariums.

I was hoping that someone could give me a little bit of guidance on what I should be doing in my current situation with my tank and fish setup.

I have a 360 gallon mixed freshwater tank.

The current inhabitants are:
3 Ornate Bichirs
1 Silver Arowana
2 Peacock Bass
2 Severums
2 Jaguar Cichlids
2 shovelnose alcheri cross catfish
3 large common plecos

I have an RO system setup for my water because the tap water has nitrate in it and was causing me problems.

What I have been using so far is a combination of RO Right and sechem netral regulator. I have not had the equipment to test GH or KH or TDS. I just ordered the necessary testing equipment to start testing those things this weekend. Currently I just dose according to the recommended charts on the back of the bottles for both of those products. My PH has been maintaining now at about 6.5, nitrite is 0, ammonia is zero, and with 50% weekly changes my nitrate hovers at 20-30 ppm. All my tank inhabitants seem to be happy.

My big questions here are:
1. Should I be using a combination of RO Right and Seachem Neutral buffer? Should I only be using one of these products?
2. When setting up proper doses should you first try to get the gh/kh where you want it and then add the buffer? If someone could walk me throught their typicla process for settign up the correct doses that would be a big help.
3. With the large variety of fish that I have what gh/kh and tds should I shoot for?

Thanks for all the help its much appreciated.

here are a few pics of the current inhabitants:

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Why not just mix the RO water with your tap water? This will dilute your high nitrates and make life easier for you (no chemicals to add, no water testing needed).

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Why not just mix the RO water with your tap water? This will dilute your high nitrates and make life easier for you (no chemicals to add, no water testing needed).
X2. I would try to find a way to mix 50/50. That way there's no way to mess it up. Or at least try this first and see what your readings would be.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bigphil001

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2013
Lake in The Hills IL
The problem with mixing the tap water is that the tap water has nitrate in it, typically 40-80 ppm. Even if I dilute it I am then still adding nitrate into my tank which is not good. That is why i have to go the RO water route.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
The problem with mixing the tap water is that the tap water has nitrate in it, typically 40-80 ppm. Even if I dilute it I am then still adding nitrate into my tank which is not good. That is why i have to go the RO water route.
You must have well water. Nitrate levels in municipal water in the US cannot exceed 10 ppm.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
How old is your test kit? Old kits = high Nitrate readings.

Are you using filters on your tap water? Carbon blocks or sediment filters of any kind?

Can't believe your tap is that high.......

bigphil001

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2013
Lake in The Hills IL
Ive had the RO system running now for about 3-4 months and I havent noticed an increase in production rate which would signify a ripped membrane. Or a large decrease in production which would tell me it was getting clogged. In addition my RO water has been testing with 0 nitrate in it. Maybe 40-80 was a bit aggressive in my statement of the city water but I tested it and it was near that range. It may not be that way all the time but I was fighting to control the nitrate in my tank after I moved to this area until I tested the tap water and then switched to RO water.

Can anyone make some recommendations as the the chemicals or additives that they use in their RO water for a freshwater tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store