Profitable fish to breed?

NickoT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2014
Dtown
I know this is random but what species would you suggest for my next breeding project? I'm looking to make some profit per batch of offspring though im obviously not expecting much. Just think it be nice to make even a small profit from my passion/hobby.

To sum up my question: if you were to start a business breeding a particular species of fish in the hobby what species would you choose and why?

fish 4 life

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2011
Cali
I would personally choose bettas. They are cool and interesting fish and are interesting to breed. I love watching them build bubble nests and fight! As for profit I am guessing if you were to buy some high quality fish you could probably make some nice profit.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Cichlids are easy to raise from fry - and good pairs pump out fry like nothing else - and you get a LOT of fry in a very short period of time. The trick will be to actually build a customer base from the very beginning. Talk to your local pet stores FIRST, and make sure they will take them.
Depending on your level of skill; you could also go with something that is very slow to breed, but profitable, such as stingrays, or even some marine fish, or some of the more rare cichlids.

People often suggest livebearers, but the profit turnout seems to be very low, since it takes a lot, to get a marketable amount of fry.

Also - to state the obvious - we don't even know what you have, to start with, equipment wise.

Keep us updated!

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Bettas are a nice choice - but the fry are very hard to raise. Again - not knowing what your skill set is comes into play here.

fish 4 life

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2011
Cali
+1 if you go with bettas remember they are not the easiest fish to breed, as fwprawn said the fry can be hard to raise.

NickoT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2014
Dtown
I would personally choose bettas. They are cool and interesting fish and are interesting to breed. I love watching them build bubble nests and fight! As for profit I am guessing if you were to buy some high quality fish you could probably make some nice profit.
That's funny u should mention, I was thinking bettas to start with though though I'd only get shot down. If I dedicated 20 ten gallons to breeding pairs of different variety and setup a good amount of growout setups would I be able to make decent profit?

Any detailed resources online for betta breeding, techniques and profitable business ideas? I've mastered breeding plakats twice before but would like to refresh my memory.

Thanks again mfk.

NickoT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2014
Dtown
Bettas are a nice choice - but the fry are very hard to raise. Again - not knowing what your skill set is comes into play here.

I've mastered some cichlid hybrid, discus and ram breeding projects as of this year.

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
A few fish I've bred in the past that I sold and made nice trades for fish to fish stores. Jack Dempsey sold $1.00- 1.50ea about 1000+ fry, dovii's sold $1.50-3.00ea 1000+ fry, Angel fish $1.00-1.50ea 1000+ fry, Green Terror $1.50ea 500+ fry. All these fish I raised to 1-3" size the bigger you can grow them the more you can get but you need tank space and you start spending more on food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store