Help please. Bulb questions.

thohman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2014
Michigan
I am in no way good with numbers and am thoroughly confused with the charts and lumens and watts and all that.
I have a 90 gallon tank and 2 strip lights, one for 2 t5ho bulbs and one for a single t8. Could someone give me what bulbs I should use.
Please tell me a name brand, what one from the brand, and what color.

Please and thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
The fixtures should say what watt bulb they take on it somewhere. As for color shoot for 6700k

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thohman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2014
Michigan
What I'm planning to do is get all my gear running correctly get plants and a few fish until my plants start growing and tank is running to its full potential then move my fish and get a shoal of exodons. Just need help with the lighting and need time to get my gear bought rebought running cleaned and going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I love my geiseman lamps. I use 1 aquaflora and 1 midday sun.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I suggest going with the following bulbs because plants have 2 types of chlorophyll that respond to two different wavelengths. Chlorophyll A and Chlorophyll B respond to 2 different lighting wavelengths, as you can see in the image below plants respond to both 420nm-460nm, and 660nm.

Chlorophyll.JPG

So for the T8 lighting I would suggest a 6500k bulb, but for the T5 lighting I suggest a 12,000k blue bulb, and a 3000k red bulb. The reason is because the T8 6500k bulb will supply a natural day time sunlight, the 12,000k T5 bulb will supply a blue coloring effect near 420nm-460nm, and the 3000k red bulb will supply the red lighting 660nm to the plants. By going with these bulbs your plants should really start taking off.

Chlorophyll.JPG

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Tom Barr's 120 gallon dutch tank's lighting setup goes like this

- ATI T5 48" fixture with dimmer (bulbs: 1 ATI purple; 2 ATI blue specials; 2 GE starcost; 2 Aquawave red; 1 Giesemann aqua flora)

http://plantedspace.com/space/aquatic/item/32-tom-barrs-120g-dutch-aquarium

6500k resembles that of a overcast sky, and gives off a slight blue coloration; You could combine a 6500k bulb with a 5500k bulb, or an aquaflora bulb, or the new WavePoint Ultra Growth Wave bulb.

growth_spectrum.jpg

growth_spectrum.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store