stingray and pictus catfish

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Eventually the ray would try to eat the pictus. If the ray is too small to eat it I could see the pictus agitating the ray because they never stop moving. I would not try it.

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
I lost my favorite ray when he tried to eat a pictus that he had lived with for 6 months. Don't risk it, it was a painful lesson I had to learn!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Depends on the size of the rays and pictus. I've got 3 hystrix rays @ 11", 7.5", and 6.5" along with 2 spotted pictus cats@ 3" and 1 four-lined pictus @ 5.5". They all get along fine. The spotted pictus are almost always on the go, while the four-lined sits under the driftwood most of the time. The cats have been in with the rays for about a year now, and there haven't been any issues. Quite often one or two of the rays will be under the driftwood and the cat will be resting on top of the ray.
What do you have for rays and how big are they? I probably wouldn't try this combo with bigger rays unless the cats were really big.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
I have 1 25cm pictus, 3 slightly smaller pimelodous ornatus (same feature as a pictus' body shape) with my 2ft disk motoro. They didn't bother each other. you need some hiding place for the catfish though. I also have a few synodontis angelicus, synodontis onatippinis (sold now) and spotted raphaels (very spiky) living on the same community tank. Most cats will hide on caves and rays roam the tank

There is a risk though on rays (if bigger) trying to catch them, but normally they are fast swimmers. Just assess your risk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store