DIY BIIIG Overhead Filter. 2400PGH W/Dual Intakes

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Filter.jpg

Here are my plans. Suggestions are welcome! I plan on ordering the Laguna 2400 Maxflo pump to power this whole deal. Basically hook it up inline and T off at the top of the pump to distribute water to two boxes. Simple, water drains through Mech, Over Bio and back down into the tank. The only thing stopping me from this project is hearing back from Laguna to see if you can hook them up inline. I havnt found much on that. Also how to keep it up there. I the flower pots are thin so I can still have MY LED lights behind my glass hinges for opening and closing. I may run 2X4s across the top and make a platform to hold all this. Intake and returns could just be drilled through the wood supports. Pump will sit in the middle. Will also take suggestions on what size PVC to use and where to order some nice looking strainers for my intakes. Thanks. I want this to look really nice as well as be completely functional.

Filter.jpg

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
What happens when the mechanical plugs up?

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
I 2nd this question, and would add another thought. Make SURE our connections are good. Hard plumbing would be best for safety, but not as easy to deal with(removing for cleaning and such). I had a connection failure with an overhead filter and it drained about 75 gallons of water onto the floor (2nd floor). Had to tear out the ceiling and put in new dry wall on the main floor.

About solving the mech plug up... add a redundant overflow in the filter that by-passes all of the media and drains right back into the tank. if the media clogs up the water will rise until it can drain out of this overflow, just make sure this cant get plugged up(screened off on one side of the fi

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
I 2nd this question, and would add another thought. Make SURE our connections are good. Hard plumbing would be best for safety, but not as easy to deal with(removing for cleaning and such). I had a connection failure with an overhead filter and it drained about 75 gallons of water onto the floor (2nd floor). Had to demo the ceiling and put in new dry wall on the main floor. Lesson learned...

About solving the mech plug up... add a redundant overflow in the filter that by-passes all of the media and drains right back into the tank. if the media clogs up the water will rise until it can drain out of this overflow, just make sure this cant get plugged up(screened off on one side of the filter or something)

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I honestly didn't know you needed a specific pump for something like this. I just thought it would pull the water up the intakes. What type of pumps should I be looking for?

I will definalty be hard plumbing all of this. As far as plugging Mech, It would be a great idea to add couple drains up top for something like this happening. Thats just what I will do!

Luckily my tanks are in the basement so a flood wouldnt matter really. It has concrete floor with a drip edge around it. Not that I want it to happen at all. I wont be living in this apartment forever.

I currently have a sump. Im just not happy with it.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I honestly didn't know you needed a specific pump for something like this. I just thought it would pull the water up the intakes. What type of pumps should I be looking for?

I will definalty be hard plumbing all of this. As far as plugging Mech, It would be a great idea to add couple drains up top for something like this happening. Thats just what I will do!

Luckily my tanks are in the basement so a flood wouldnt matter really. It has concrete floor with a drip edge around it. Not that I want it to happen at all. I wont be living in this apartment forever.

I currently have a sump. Im just not happy with it.
Why not just improve your sump?

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
I just want to try something different thats all!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store