Stung by stingray - Canada

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
In me pier fishing days when I was a teen I got stung by a bat ray i had caught, just a little 10 pounder or so, not sure why they call it stung, you are not stung you are pierced or jabbed, being barbed they leave a nice scar when its ripped out. hurt pretty good for awhile but not near as bad as the sculpten (sp) i stepped on that pierces through my little toe. who new your little toe could get that big.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
with bat ray pretty much what it is. barbs around 3 to 5 inches on a ray that size, when you land them and you not paying attention, and i was not, they curle there tale up and try to stick it to you. ussuly first order of business is to step on the tale and run you knife under the barb and cut it off. I went to pull the gaff and hook out first. i reached back to hold him down and he slipped it into my palm, nice little 2 inch scar. yanking my hand back opened it up, its barbed full length kinda like a saw, was not deep, like a large splinter, removed the gaff, hook and through him back, lesson learned.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Wow, what a story to tell. I mean I know the pain was probably close to unbearable and all, but after its all healed you got a wicked story to tell at work that not many people can say they've experienced. Chick's dig scars, but you tell that story at a bar I think you'd be hard pressed to find one that would believe you until you whip out the smart phone with some pics lol!!! Respect the ray.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
bat/sting ray barbs are not poisonous, just a nasty shaft pushed in like i said a large barbed splinter, pain nothing like the skulptin I caught and proceeded to step on bare footed and pierce my little toe on his spines. They are poisonous, that extremely painful. and like i said, be surprised how big your little toe can get.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Actually a bat ray is still toxic. They have the integumentary sheath coving the barb just like every other stingray. It holds a similar venom. They call it being 'stung' because a part of the animal is penetrating the victim's body and releasing a venom/toxin on the inside.

Poison refers to ingestion (IE: A predator eating a poinsonous fish like a puffer). Venom is injected (IE: stingrays, lionfish, snakes).

A bat ray is very similar to the other eagle rays (cownose, spotted eagles etc...), with the barb located at the base of the tail. They don't really have much ability to swing it or use the tail to manipulate it at all. Their main predator is sharks, so it's designed more like a rear defense to protect them in the event of a bite from behind. It's the benthic rays (like FW rays) that will use the tail to swing the barb in defense.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
then I got i off lucky on the venom side because while it hurt it was not that bad as i remember it. like I said nothing like the sculptin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store