So who has the oldest, LEAK free, plywood tank?

Big Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary
Spring is coming and I have convinced the war department to let me build a plywood tank! Just curious though, what is the average longevity of these beasts? Would like everyone who built one to tell us how its holding up and what you might have done different.

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
I would like to see some impressive numbers, water and wood dont mix IMO

Sent from my SM-T310 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
If its built "properly" it could potentially last decades. But as with any large aquarium the bigger they are the increased potential of them busting or leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

corn fed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Nebraska
Subscribed. Hopefully we have some people come out of the woodwork and give us some great numbers.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I too would be interested in finding out more about this branch of fishkeeping :p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Mines coming up on 2 years. I recently drained it to change out from saltwater and went over the tank with a microscope (not literaly) looking for microfractures and stress cracks and the epoxy looked just as good as the day I built it. I see tank lasting a very long time, I have no regrets (cept for not making it bigger!). Build link is my sig.

sross

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Ohio
My tank made it almost 3 years without any leaking. The silicone that I used became brittle and cracked in one spot. The plywood and finish over that held up just fine. If I were to make any recommendations for building a plywood tank I would say use several layers of fiberglass over every wood surface and don't cheep out on silicone. I had a few screw pops on the floor of the tank and because of the fiberglass it wasn't an issue. And this time I got the highest quality silicone I could get. I use DOW Corning 7 something. I forget the number.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store