How Do I Get My Spotted Gar To Eat Pellets?

Young_Fish_Keeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2014
San Antonio, Tx.
I just ordered a Spotted Gar online and the seller has him on feeders, i hate feeding feeders!:irked:
i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to slowly switch him over or if i should just starve him? Any advice is appreiciated!

AshKetchum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2013
New Jersey
You could either starve him or get dither fish. Which dithers are fish like silver dollars and fish close to those that will come up and eat and he will see that and start to eat pellets after some time

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rdKirby

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
Just keep offering it pellets, it will eat them when it gets hungry enough.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CDuVall

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2012
Texas
I am so glad you posted this. I got a Florida Gar a week ago and he is still not eating. I offer krill, bloodworms, Hikari biogold pellets and carnivore sinking pellets. Still not eating.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Small gar need live food 24/7. They should grow to 12" in the first year with plenty of food. Once their a bit larger u can starve or train them to eat other foods. If u insist on not feeding them live ur gonna have to work for it. Tongs can be used with live food and will teach them what to look for. Once there comfortable with the tongs u can switch to prepared foods on the tongs. I trained my first couple gar with some roach clips and goldfish at the surface. They soon accepted worms from the clips and learned to eat floating pellets very quickly after. Smart little buggers, just need to help them out a bit they dont see so good and will often miss the food if u just toss it in randomly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
i am in the process of doing the same thing. it has been a good week but last night he took one pellet and accually swallowed it. i have a little advantage in having another gar in there that is already pelet trained for him to learn from.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
My alligator gar learned to eat pellets for my goldfish because there was a current in the water. My tropicals chase after anything that moves and I think a current can help them become interested in pellets (as I have been trying this method now). A large current is definitely not a must especially with gars, just enough for the pellets to move. I agree, you shouldn't feed small gars pellets just yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store