SKITTISH BLACK RAY PUPS

mattfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Michigan
Hey everyone, I bought 3 black ray pups about a month ago. i got 2 males and one female about 5-6 inches across in size. They took a week to settle in but they now eat hardily. I have had teacups before and a motoro pup before and they always swam around all day long and would almost beg for food but these new guys are super skittish. These 3 new pups are in a 135 gallon (6 foot long) tank with very few other fish this tank has been running for years and is very mature. The tank is in our living room and i have 3 boys under the age of 5 years old so there is alot of activity. I was told these rays had never been on substrate or ever had much light on there tank nor barely any actiivity around them besides when they were fed, so maybe the substrate, light, and all the activity will take awhile for them to adjust too. The other thing is I just dont know if this is what i should expect from black rays. any info would help

Latrelle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2012
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada
Hey man. What kind of black rays do you have? Any pics? Black rays IMO are very hardy if you got the right conditions. At 5-6" they should be fine for a little bit (6 months) in that tank if you got the right filtration. What are the other fish in the tank? What's your filtration? All rays take time to adapt to new conditions. And I have a home like yours with 4 kids always wanting to check them out. If they are eating good they should settle in fine in time. They need to get used to fast movements in front of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mattfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Michigan
i will try to take pics tonight when the lights go out. The tank has a wet-dry sump, 25 watt uv sterilizer. the water levels are; Na 20, Ni 0, Am 0, ph 7.2, Alk 150, Temp 78.8 F. I plan on moving them to pools downstairs when they start outgrowing this tank. the fish in there with them are rainbows, 3 angelfish and some tetras and a few plecos Goldnuggets. the plecos do not touch the rays, I check everyday and i watch when the lights are out and the plecos and rays are swiming around. i heard it could be a problem but no spots on rays from plecos. I have one pure black diamond male and the other 2 are 75% black diamond 25%leo. They are beautiful!!:) i just want to see them more like i did the other rays. ( i moved out the ray that was in there before these 3 came to a different tank)

swedeboy78

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
My crib
I bet it's the substrate they have to get used to. I've had the same issues with pups that came from bare bottom tanks.

Nice rays!

Latrelle

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2012
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada
If it's been a month already they should be adjusted to the substrate. From one pic the belly doesn't look pink or irritated. I've noticed this before when moving rays from bare bottom to sand for about a week. I'd bet it's the activity - fast movements and lots of vibrations - that they need to get used to. I have some pearl pups right now that do the same thing.
Nice pups by the way!

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
I would agree that they are just getting use to the conditions. If they are eating they should be fine. Rays are more nocturnal. If they were kept in a darker environment and are now in more light they may need time to get used to it. I think as their appetite grows and they will search for food more they will be out more.

Nice rays! Would live to get some black rays someday.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Deff sounds like something is off. Black rays in my opinion are very aggressive. Even when my pups are only 1 month old they start begging, biting eachother, and playing with eachother.

Are they pigging out to the point that their butts are huge and cant eat anymore? Are they pouncing on food aggressively?

Did you have any rays in the tank before adding these black rays? Or was the substrate sitting dormant?

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
It's also possible your Angels are nipping at them and stressing them out.
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mattfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Michigan
it was really funny, i had a friend come over today who wanted to see the rays and they were completely buried the whole 2 hours he was here. I even put a bunch of black worms in but nothing. then about 5 minutes after he left they were all out for a few minutes of worm hunting. its like they know who is here and they dont take kindly to strangers. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store