Is this Crenicichla Atabapo?

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado

just wondering if this is actually a Crenicichla Atabapo and also what is a 9" one of these worth? Are these good tankmates for large black aro, LARGE royal clown knife florida gar and clown loaches? Are they aggressive?

not my photo!!

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
No, it's a juvie johanna. I have one that looks exactly like it.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Hawkfish3.0;714439; said:
No, it's a juvie johanna. I have one that looks exactly like it.

Not quite...;).

Yes its a species of atabapo, although its not one of the true atabapos. Its actually Crenicichla cf. sp. 'atabapo'.....can never remember if the cf. goes before or after the sp. haha. It is a very nice fish, and will continue to get red as it ages. As for aggression, I've never kept this species, but you can bet its gonna have some.

Being 9" its almost past the sudadult age, which is when their aggression starts to come out. Keepin it with those tankmates might not be a problem, although a lot of them have large mouths and can be territorial. To be honest, with your set up i would be cautious...as there are many things that could happen.

As for price, MikesKillersFish has it priced a little high...haha...Rapps has the same ones for a little bit cheaper...and hes more reputable as far as sellin goes...;)

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
mikes is in colorado thats the only reason I was even thinking about it. I think I will pass though. I would rather have a tigrinus anyway. thanks for the info!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store