Heater comparison

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm in need of some new heaters for my 75 gallon and eventually my 125. Im in a toss up between eheim jagers, aqueon pros which are both relatively inexpensive as I see sales on them.

I'm also looking at the fluval e-series lcd heaters, my final choice is the finnex titanium heaters with external controllers.

I don't know anything about the controllers, can you hook up more then one heater to the controller, or do you need one controller per heater?

I'm leaning towards buying a 150 and a 200 watt or 2 150 watters. Any other glowing recommendations or advice is also much appreciated as id like the most reliable at the midst economical price.

Thanks all!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I have both the Aqueon pros(250w) and Jager(300). Both brands work great. The Aqueons are non-glass and black, so conceals very easily. The Jager is a heating beast, but is very long and is made of glass and harder to conceal because it isn't black.

The Finnex titanium is a single unit, so the controller is just for 1 heating element.

This is what I recommend:
For my 180, I have 2 Aqeoun pro and 1 Jager set up to a Finnex analog controller. This set up lessens the chance of 1 defective heater doing in all your fish should it go awry. I went with the analog controller because I figured I would never have to worry about my temp setting due to power outages or back up batteries depleting. The Finnex controller has been very reliable and consistent, and only cost me $23 from Kensfish
For a 125, 2 heaters ( 500w-600w total) should be fine.
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-heaters/heaters.html

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I prefer the the regular aqueon glass heaters. I noticed the pros dont heat as well but they do heat sufficiently.

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
No one have any preference on the heaters I listed or know anything about the finnex heater controllers?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I use a 800 watt titanium finnex with controller I got off Amazon. It works great abd is very accurate. I'd recommend

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Oh wow good some reason I didn't see the second post until now. Thank you! :)

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I use Jäger exclusively. They last forever and have never failed on me. Nevertheless, I'd use two lower watt heaters over one higher watt just in case. The lower watts won't boil your tank if one fails.

HarleyK

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
I also use jager exclusively. Still going strong after 10+ years of work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store