Feeding Super Mealworms fish food's

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Just picked up 1000 or so super Mealworms. I was told to feed them wet foods like potatoes, carrots, an apples. I was thinking can i soak fish pellets and toss them into their bedding?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
So far they are eating it right now. Thinking i should of made them super soft tho.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Interesting idea, but why would fish pellets be correct unless the pellets are primarily algae? Mealworms are vegetarians. Shouldn't they need to be fed what is proper for them to eat, if they are to have the natural nutrients that they provide. I'm skeptical that feeding them pellets (if, for example, they are 50% animal protein) will make them more nutritious as their digestive system would likely destroy or discard what it doesn't need.

To get live food full of vitamins, I've considered using a syringe and liquid vitamins right before feeding.

MealwormsForSaleHQ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
The mealworms' digestive system will most likely discard anything that's not beneficial to the worm itself. They will however retain all vitamins and nutrients that they can absorb. Also, I think mealworms are more omnivorous as they are known to break down decaying meat and plant organisms. I noticed with my colonies, they are very lively for the first 24-48 hours after they are fed my nutrient rich mash but start to become more mellowed out after about 3 days. I also noticed that they are more active/lively when they feed on oranges or carrots compared to potatoes. Just my observation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store