My new setup - suggestions welcome and wanted

Lyrek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
Canada
Hello my fishy friends!

This is my new 75 gallon aquarium! My goal is to make really nice habitat for my fish. I want them to be really happy. I started with the idea of amazonian river bed look/feel, but I am not wedded to that. Just so long as it looks reasonably "natural". Ignoring the fact that not all these plants grow in the Amazon, of course.

Fish: Angels, Tetras (serpae and scissor tail), Boesmani Rainbow, Pictus Catfish and a couple of Gourami (Gold and Pearl).

Aquarium.JPG

So, I welcome advice or suggestions on anything I can add, treat, aqua-scape or just improve on in general.
Examples:
- Ground cover (low maintenance, none invasive)
- Rocks (I was thinking of some nicely shaped and well positioned lava rock. The colour of which would go nicely with my substrate (Flourite Red). Anything else I could use?)

Thanks everyone!
And remember! Just keep swimming! swimming swimming, swimming! ;)

Aquarium.JPG

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
like stroh, I'd lose the castle. then use the floating wood to hide the filter intake. other than that I'd be happy. no real need for the rocks, once the plants start to take off it will fill in nicely.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
Some things to try: round river rocks in a group with plants at the base or between them.branch type of DW or bigger log. I like to position off-center.I would group some of the plants together to change the look but of course everyone sees aquascaping different

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lyrek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
Canada
yes for sure lose the castle. other than that it looks great! cant wait to see it stocked.
Only other question is: How long does this tank need to cycle?
I started this 75G aquarium on March 2nd. I have cycled many an aquarium, but 75 gallons is the largest thus far.
Considering my fish are suddenly out to MURDER each other the sooner I get them in 75 the better.

What in the name of Zeus happened, Lyrek?!?
I don't know what happened! I wish I did! But! the night before last there must have been an all out battle in my currently established tank.
Today it cost the lives of 4 fish. A blue angel (really didn't want to lose him! He was expensive and gorgeous) and black Angel were found gasping for life on the bottom. Another angel was floating helplessly like a leaf in the wind and a scissor tail tetra lost an eye. Fins and scales were battered on all of these fish.
Another gold angel has battered fins and some scale damage but has survived and is eating.
So, I am upset and not happy at all today! Why the %&^* does this have to happen NOW!?
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably lose the castle as suggested.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
wow that's a shame.:(..melafix the tank where the survivors are,,,,full dose today ,1/2 doses for a couple more..(at least that's my remedy for injuries).hopefully you can replace the stock you have already lost ...good luck..... ps TEST that water in your established tank ...that could have set them off ,,,especially angels

Lyrek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
Canada
Have you tested the water?
Yes, this is a fully established tank that is tested regularly. Water was tested daily for the last 3 days, the parameters are good. I have done a 20% water change today regardless and will be treating with Melafix.

I likely won't replace all these fish. The blue angel for sure. The others maybe not. To be honest I don't need nor want that many in the new tank. Less is more sometimes.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Yes, this is a fully established tank that is tested regularly. Water was tested daily for the last 3 days, the parameters are good. I have done a 20% water change today regardless and will be treating with Melafix.

I likely won't replace all these fish. The blue angel for sure. The others maybe not. To be honest I don't need nor want that many in the new tank. Less is more sometimes.
x2 on the less is more front....good to know early on in the hobby

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store