Sharks and Metal

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Will all types of metal in a tank build mess with a shark or is it just certain kinds. I read that when building a cinder block tank you have to be careful with the use of re-bar as it may cause problems with the ampullary organs. If doing a plywood build would this also apply to the screws and brackets as well, or would the different composition of these not be problematic like re-bar.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Two quick things to add:
Clearly, you never want metal in the water. But sharks also react to metal around the tanks as well (it can mess with their ability to navigate).
Take into account is amout of metal and it's proximity to the water. On largerer builds, I've seen rebar (metal rods) in the concrete walls have a very negative impact on the sharks ability to navigate the display. You'll see them swimming all over, running into things and having a host of issues. I'd always suggest using the least amount while still being safe. The more space or material you can put between the shark and the metal, the better off you'll be. Small screws and backets shouldn't be an issue at all.
Various sharks are impacted differently by metal. ORV sharks tend to be more sensative to it and it will show negative effects with species like black tip reefs and other swimming sharks a lot faster than with benthic sharks like bamboos and catsharks.

Aggressive By Nature

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Boynton Beach, FL
Two quick things to add:
Clearly, you never want metal in the water. But sharks also react to metal around the tanks as well (it can mess with their ability to navigate).
Take into account is amout of metal and it's proximity to the water. On largerer builds, I've seen rebar (metal rods) in the concrete walls have a very negative impact on the sharks ability to navigate the display. You'll see them swimming all over, running into things and having a host of issues. I'd always suggest using the least amount while still being safe. The more space or material you can put between the shark and the metal, the better off you'll be. Small screws and backets shouldn't be an issue at all.
Various sharks are impacted differently by metal. ORV sharks tend to be more sensative to it and it will show negative effects with species like black tip reefs and other swimming sharks a lot faster than with benthic sharks like bamboos and catsharks.
So, they would react to the rebar that is inside the concrete?

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Two quick things to add:
So if metal has zero contact with water then that would imply they have an extremely sensitive magnetic navigation system?

Interesting:

http://www.hawaii.edu/himb/ReefPredator/Shark Magnet.htm

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Magentic fields / electric fields are just one aspect of sharks that is leaps and bound beyond most other animals.

One thing we observed years ago in the Gulf of Mexico was their ability to understand weather patterns. We were doing a project off the Texas coast. There was a tropical storm turned hurricane on the way in - but several days out. The area we were in was shallow and very heavy with multiple shark species. We were seeing a shark every 10-15 minutes. Almost exactly a day prior to the storm hitting the area, the sharks all vanished without a trace. We couldn't have found one to save our lives. Day after the storm passed, the population returned to the area. We talked with a team just outside the storm path. They reported the shark populations they were watching didn't change at all. I'd love to investigate further to see if sharks have the ability to understand storm paths based on changes they experience but we don't.

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
Magentic fields / electric fields are just one aspect of sharks that is leaps and bound beyond most other animals.

One thing we observed years ago in the Gulf of Mexico was their ability to understand weather patterns. We were doing a project off the Texas coast. There was a tropical storm turned hurricane on the way in - but several days out. The area we were in was shallow and very heavy with multiple shark species. We were seeing a shark every 10-15 minutes. Almost exactly a day prior to the storm hitting the area, the sharks all vanished without a trace. We couldn't have found one to save our lives. Day after the storm passed, the population returned to the area. We talked with a team just outside the storm path. They reported the shark populations they were watching didn't change at all. I'd love to investigate further to see if sharks have the ability to understand storm paths based on changes they experience but we don't.
There was another situation like that happend in Florida. The sharks left the area (they were pups) a day before the hurricane and came back two weeks later

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Amazing.

Plenty of similar stories about various land animals running away prior to big storms or even tsunamis hitting.

We humans may think we are smart, but we certainly aren't in tune with nature.

Makes me want a shark even more.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store