Arowanas together

bfriz00

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2013
United States
My LFS has 3in Arowanas for sale for 1 for 35.99 or 2 for 49.99. I wanted to get two of em for my tank but the sales guy said once they grow past 5in, they will not do well and one will kill the other one. I have a 200 gallon tank. All I have in it right now is a 4 inch bicher, an 3 inch electric cat and a couple small cichlids. Is the LFS right or just confused like the majority of them? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Lfs worker is confused, arowana are best kept alone or in groups of 3 or more. Keeping just 2 could possibly work, depends on temperament of both arowana.

Arowana are still fragile at 3", I would either grow it out in a separate tank until around 6" or look for a larger specimen. Also what are the dimensions of your 200 gallon and long term goal with the arowana and your tanks?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jabsthetank

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
California
Lfs worker is confused, arowana are best kept alone or in groups of 3 or more. Keeping just 2 could possibly work, depends on temperament of both arowana.

Arowana are still fragile at 3", I would either grow it out in a separate tank until around 6" or look for a larger specimen. Also what are the dimensions of your 200 gallon and long term goal with the arowana and your tanks?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I'm gonna have to agree with the LFS. The arowanas that are allowed in the US don't usually do well in pairs. But it could be possible if grown together. Growing up with each other would allow them to get used to living with one another. And a 200 gallon is only enough for one.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I wish that lfs employee worked at my fish stores years ago. $$ and aggravation might have been avoided possibly with this guy. It's a crapshoot with multiple aros. It can work, but the odds are far against you in the long run unless an enormous tank is planned along with luck that 1 aro doesn't take charge some day or right away. Get a buddy to take 1 to reap the $$ savings

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store