Stingray Feeding

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Ive been a ray owner now for almost half a year.

My ray is fat - and growing, but not at any great rate.

My questions are basically about feeding - how much and how frequently.

There seems to be a lot of differing opinions out there on what is right and what is wrong, with both parties having success. I feed until my ray stops coming up and asking for food once a day - sometimes he gets a little less if he's not up by me.

He doesnt seem skinny, and is definitely growing.

He gets my homemade food with ever approved food under the sun.

Im starting cultures of blackworms and red worms to give him a little something on the bottom as an extra treat and to add to my food.

Let me know what you all are feeding, how frequently etc.

Thanks!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
My 12" w.c. female eats a dozen crawlers a day every day, 3 times a day 4 crawlers at a time. She ate 2,000 euro crawlers in 20 days so now i use canadians. Working in silversides and pieces of cut fish on top of that also. My 13-14" male eats small handfulls of carnivore pellets 3-5 times a day every day and cut fish/worms on top of that throughout the week. May seem like alot but i enjoy my rays being as active and colorful as possible and my menu/regimen takes care of that. Once a week i give them a day off to digest by feeding very light or not at all. Sounds like ur doing just fine once a day, maybe try breaking up that one large feeding into multiple smaller ones and ur ray should take in more food. Probably better not to try and stuff them all at once also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
I am a big believer of feeding twice per day

I wouldnt bother with the black worms. Stick to earthworms, shrimp, and talapia

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Very cool guys, thanks for the response.

I am really going to work on feeding him twice a day.

Still would like to hear other opinions one way or another.

I feed a homemade food combining a couple favorite foods with everything under the sun, so it would be hard for me to believe Im missing something nutritionally.

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
Depends on size of the ray, start with cutting them up. My rays have a easier time with cut up worms, but I am also feeding them Canadian nightcrawlers which are pretty big.

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Twice a day. Always an assortment of 3 types of 10 mm pellets (massivore, nls, northfin mass carni in equal amounts premixed) in the morning, and then the evening i feed tilapia. Here and there i will add in some shrimp. Friday night is always earthworm night at the end of their meal as a fun snack. Once a week i skip one or both feedings to clean them out. I do find it is beneficial to hold back on the food here and there.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
For those feeding worms, what is your source?

How long do you let them purge before feeding them?

Going to start - or I might just add them to my home made food.

Does anyone feed really young meal worms? They might be too hard.

My ray is a motoro

I really like the look of Northfin food - too bad its not even available on Ebay. :/ Pretty convinced however that my food is as good or better, it should be as complete a diet as one can achieve.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store