Pearl Breeding Questions

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I was wondering if Pearl Rays have a minimum litter of four pups at a time? I was told this by a Thai fish vendor and it seems valid but I wondered about everyone's experience. Can Pearl Rays have less than four pups at a time?

How large would the Pearl Stingray female probably have to be to produce pups?

I know males just need to have rolled claspers.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I was wondering if Pearl Rays have a minimum litter of four pups at a time? I was told this by a Thai fish vendor and it seems valid but I wondered about everyone's experience. Can Pearl Rays have less than four pups at a time?

How large would the Pearl Stingray female probably have to be to produce pups?

I know males just need to have rolled claspers.
There really is no set number of pups that a pearl can have. I have seen litters of 4+ down to 1. Largest I have seen was 13 out of a Pearl hybrid.

From what I have seen anywhere from 12-14" seems to be the starting size of most breeding females. Based on age I would say around 1.5 years old.

Enjoy, you are in the Pearl capital of the world.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
There really is no set number of pups that a pearl can have. I have seen litters of 4+ down to 1. Largest I have seen was 13 out of a Pearl hybrid.

From what I have seen anywhere from 12-14" seems to be the starting size of most breeding females. Based on age I would say around 1.5 years old.

Enjoy, you are in the Pearl capital of the world.
Thank you. How much do you think a pair of pearl rays at around 12" would go for? I think they are giving me a bad price here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store