Restarting when I can afford it, and when I have the proper equipment. Chime in.

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
Okay,
Let's start from the top....Impulse decisions, lack of obligations, and excess cash.
In the summer of 2012, i decided it was time to set up a reef tank. So with no knowledge, and a bunch of cash i was on a mission. I bought a 29x-high tank, a bunch of live rock, some sand...a filter and some ebay t5ho's threw it all together. waited a week and went out and bought my first corals and damsels. They of course...died within a few days... So i tried again, i bought a rabbitfish and another coral...they died in about a week. So after much reading, and learning...i finally two years later have a tank that is running with the same corals and fish for over two years now....

The problem? it looks like it has only been up for six-eight months. My corals grow incredibly slow. There is red cyano everywhere. Green hair hanging from my HOB filter. Tons and tons of asterina stars.... just multiple problems that have been compounded many times. Now that i finally have a steady job, and steady income, and i'm much more knowledgeable...i've decided that i wanted to revamp my entire set up....SOOOOO here are my plans.:naughty: Everyone feel free to chime in as you feel necessary, with any tips, comments, concerns, criticisms or whatever else.

I'm currently trying to sell my 29 gallon tank. So firstly, if anyone in the ann arbor or michigan area, wants to purchase a tank and is looking for basically the complete set up... i have a bunch of stuff...i just am stepping it up.
Plans:
75 Gallon tank, with built in overflows
29 gallon glass tank as a sump---with no partitions or baffles...
Sicce submersible pump pushing around 600-700 GPH at 4' head pressure. Soft plumbed to return.
Reef Octopus skimmer that uses a Bubble Blaster pump
T5 fixture that has individual parabolic reflectors and houses 6.. 4 foot bulbs----not exactly sure on brand yet.
Roughly 80# of Live Rock in the DT
Roughly 40-50# of Live sand for DSB

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I always advise people to steer far clear of DSB's. Do you have a specific reason for wanting one?

I also recommend that people start with dead rock - fewer chances of unwanted hitchhikers and will save you a buck or two. You will get plenty of stuff in on frags etc.

80# is a TON of rock for a 75g tank.

I might consider a slightly larger return. I always expect my returns to push 10x tank volume at a minimum at whatever height the return is at.

Bigger sumps are better.

My .02 - I loved my 75 and will get back to reefing someday.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
First off I applaud you for your honesty and willingness to get back on the horse! The lesson you really learned .......

it takes 2-3 years to build enuff denitrifying bacterial colonies to successfully create an eco-system in an aquarium - FW or SW. This is a lesson not preached enuff on many websites, including this one. Instead we say take it slow as to not discourage new hobbyist from trying or engage in ridiculous arguments with those whom just don't get it.

Your still going to go thru the nitrate issues with an upgrade - not as terrible but it's still not auto-eco complete. you can dose bacteria for relief, protein skim, carbon, purigian, chempure, larger water changes with r/o water, etc...but must be done for several years.

Wean your fish to quality pellets - you'll know this is working when you stop seeing fish poop. Live in a bottle + Frozen foods are counter productive they contain high levels of PO4 that walk hand in hand with nitrate accumulation. As for corals go LED's, T5HO's do not have good water penetration of luminous especially in larger tanks.

As for DSB's I totally agree - Do it! Dsb's for both FW+SW are key to housing denitrifying bacteria as well as overall tank health.
So long as your fish are weaned to pellets and your not overfeeding there will be no significant build up of detritus.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
Firstly, that sounds like an awesome upgrade! Good luck!! Post pics! :D

Secondly, I, too, am curious about Fleshy's beef with DSB's.

Thirdly, About the fish food thing and seeing no fish poop....It seems illogical to conclude that they just stop pooping so what happens to it with a higher quality pellet? And what would be recommended for a higher quality pellet?

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
comment deleted...again.

When I see posts like the poop comment, it causes me to believe that there is no hope for this forum.

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
That's a huge upgrade nice!
i am having difficulty finding the exact tank i want....it might get turned into a 40 breeder, with similar specs for the size... just do to the amount of 40 breeders and prices in my area...

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
I always advise people to steer far clear of DSB's. Do you have a specific reason for wanting one?

I also recommend that people start with dead rock - fewer chances of unwanted hitchhikers and will save you a buck or two. You will get plenty of stuff in on frags etc.

80# is a TON of rock for a 75g tank.

I might consider a slightly larger return. I always expect my returns to push 10x tank volume at a minimum at whatever height the return is at.

Bigger sumps are better.

My .02 - I loved my 75 and will get back to reefing someday.
just as otherone mentioned the build up of bacteria in the sand. that is my main reasoning.
i stuck with the standard of 1# per gallon, with not all 80 being in the DT. Thanks for the input, i'll have to look at bigger pumps...for a 75 and 40 now...

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
First off I applaud you for your honesty and willingness to get back on the horse! The lesson you really learned .......

it takes 2-3 years to build enuff denitrifying bacterial colonies to successfully create an eco-system in an aquarium - FW or SW. This is a lesson not preached enuff on many websites, including this one. Instead we say take it slow as to not discourage new hobbyist from trying or engage in ridiculous arguments with those whom just don't get it.

Your still going to go thru the nitrate issues with an upgrade - not as terrible but it's still not auto-eco complete. you can dose bacteria for relief, protein skim, carbon, purigian, chempure, larger water changes with r/o water, etc...but must be done for several years.

Wean your fish to quality pellets - you'll know this is working when you stop seeing fish poop. Live in a bottle + Frozen foods are counter productive they contain high levels of PO4 that walk hand in hand with nitrate accumulation. As for corals go LED's, T5HO's do not have good water penetration of luminous especially in larger tanks.

As for DSB's I totally agree - Do it! Dsb's for both FW+SW are key to housing denitrifying bacteria as well as overall tank health.
So long as your fish are weaned to pellets and your not overfeeding there will be no significant build up of detritus.
I knew it took some time, i thought it was around the two year mark, glad to see i was close... haha
yeah i knew that even if i transferred all of the rock to the new tank it would spike it, so that isn't a surprise in the least... i've been grinding the crap out of my 29 lately with chemiclean and large water changes for almost a month now... so the time table isn't an issue...i have loads of patience. as long as i do it right...

what type of pellets do you use? or have you used... i've been feeding new life spectrum if you have an upgrade from there, i'm certainly willing to entertain it... I used to use instant ocean omnivore pellets but got away from those...then moved onto a home-made blend of fresh fish/shellfish that my buddy and i pooled money together for and blended....now i'm on the NLS

as for lighting, what is your preferred brand of LED's....and do you still stand by them even in a 40 breeder?

i plan on the DSB

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store