Weird Silver Arowana Behavior

jaygod611

Feeder Fish
Mar 11, 2014
Philippines
Hi All!

I'm relatively new to the forums and to Arowana care as well. I'm trying to figure out a weird behavior my Silver aro is doing:

[video=youtube;D7DPtB6pwQk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7DPtB6pwQk[/video]

I'm not sure what he's trying to do but I'm afraid he might get gill curl as a result of this (gills turn outward every time he does that "pulling" motion)

Water parameters as of the moment:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Around 5
pH: 7.5

Any ideas regarding this? Appreciate your time.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Just looks like he's trying to escape to me, Is this a new tank ? If it's a new tank or if he's not used to a bare tank he'll take a while to settle in.

jaygod611

Feeder Fish
Mar 11, 2014
Philippines
Thanks DC. Yes this is a new fully cycled tank. He was always on a bare tank though and he wasn't doing this on his smaller tank. Do you think excessive motions such as these will cause gill curl? He does this every time.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Thats nothing compared to my jar when she was a baby... My jar would run up and down the tank so hard and fast her barbs were worn down to the point it looks like she doesnt have any... But no gill curl and shes about 7 inches bigger now in a 220 with no gill curl and shes perfectly sane now. It made me so frustrated that I put a 800 gph ph in a 55 when she was around 4-5 inches to keep her from doing it and it worked for a bit until she gained some strength and fought the current lol! Your aro will be fine!

jaygod611

Feeder Fish
Mar 11, 2014
Philippines
Thanks guys! Really informative responses there.. I was just scared that she may get gill curl but after what you have mentioned, I feel pretty confident now.

Thanks again!

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
gill curl isnt very common to arowanas compared to drop eye and such... and gill curl is "slightly" curable/treatable. my arowana does this sometimes... but mostly when im doing a water change. just leave the light off for a while, let it settle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store