My not so little rescue!

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been posting much lately but life has been pretty busy lately for me with a new baby and all. But, apparently I still have time to adopt new animals!

So...last week I got a call from a friend of mine. She says her biology teacher from high school is looking for someone to adopt a neglected Sulcata Tortoise found in an abandoned apartment. Apparently some idiots abandoned two tortoises in the dead of winter and skipped town. The place was empty for over a month with no heat and anyone living in the North East can vouch for me that it has been extremely cold for the last 3 months. And it seems the cold was enough to kill the larger of the two torts before they could be found. I was contacted later by a woman who runs a dog rescue and was willing to take the tortoise in when it was found. She did a good job nursing her back to health and even took her to a vet for a check up. It appears to be a female that's roughly 5 years old. She does have some shell pyramiding from an apparently incorrect diet and a few chips in her scutes but other than that she's pretty healthy for the hell she's been though. After hearing the story my fiance and I couldn't help but say yes to giving her a new home. She's wanted to get a Sulcata for a few years now and I'm glad we could acquire one this way because too many of these guys get abandoned after the cute hatchling period is over. I quickly built a tortoise table for her but was mislead to believe she was a smaller animal (she weights over 20 lbs.) and I think I might have to enlarge it some more. This spring I will be building her an outdoor pen roughly 25'x12'. With plenty of TLC and a good diet she's going to have a long.....LONG....life with us!

Anyways, without further ado meet Gabby the Sulcata!

Tortoise.jpg

Tortoise3.jpg

Tortoise2.jpg

Tort_top.jpg

Tort_Eating4.jpg

Tort_Eating3.jpg

Tort_Eating2.jpg

Tort_Eating.jpg

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
Awesome man. I am sure she is in good hands now. Does not look bad considering what she has been through.

Vicious_Fish

MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
VERY NICE SAVE
Thanks! She's a real sweet girl, a little shy but starting to warm up to us.

Awesome man. I am sure she is in good hands now. Does not look bad considering what she has been through.
Thanks and yes, she's definitely in better hands now then who ever had her before. I mean to abandon an animal like this.....in the middle of winter......some people make me so mad.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice looking tortoise and she's lucky to be saved and with you now.

Vicious_Fish

MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Nice looking tortoise and she's lucky to be saved and with you now.
Thanks man! I'm sure she'll get spoiled like all of our pets.

I had a chance to let the tortoise out (who now I'm thinking might be a male!) this weekend to get some exercise. What a ball of energy! He was checking out everything and didn't have any fear what so ever. It was also amazing to see how quick they can move. I really can't wait to get some warm weather so I can take him outside.

tortoise.jpg

Paisley&Tort.jpg

Fluffy&Tort.jpg

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I cant imagine what that turtle's been through. Im sure she's so happy to live with a good owner. Very nice!

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Awesome rescue! I live in the northeast. To be honest, I'm amazed even one of the two survived. This winter has been absolutely brutally cold.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Vicious_Fish

MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Awesome rescue! I live in the northeast. To be honest, I'm amazed even one of the two survived. This winter has been absolutely brutally cold.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks and yes, I was amazed myself. I mean this is a species that lives on the outskirts of the Sahara Desert! How it survived the freezing temperatures is beyond me.

Really nice what you did... thats one lucky tortoise!
Thank you and yes he is!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store