Best rocks for algae growth.

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Hi everyone, I am setting up a new tank around my little t. duboisi and was wandering which rocks to choose to grow algae on, the red lava rocks or flat slate-like rocks? Also I here that you shouldn't mix tropheus with mbuna, but I can't find a definitive answer as to why. I understand that the water maybe slightly different chemically and diet may pose a problem but there is some overlap. Is it just a matter of aesthetics or is there a "real" reason not to mix them? What I'm looking for is the "poorman's" reef type aquarium, don't laugh.:grinno:

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
find granite works about best. nice furry round rocks. shale or slate works well to, coral grows it well to but because its so coarse or pocketed my plecs can not keep it trimmed well.

mobaman1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2013
here and there
Lighting will play a big role in how much algae you will grow. Most large flat rocks work well if you're "farming" algae. I have trap rock in a few of my tanks and they seem to grow algae a little too well. lol

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Lighting does play a huge role in the growth!! My lights are on 7 hours a day(2x t5ho bulbs) because of the pothos vines I have to absorb nitrates. Algae grows really nice on lace rock if you have that. In my tank there are only large river rocks and they're covered.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I like to use water logged wood for algae growth, but as stated, light is the main factor in growing the right algae for vegetarian cichlids. I try to place objects in a place with a coupe hours of indirect sunlight that hit object where I want algal growth.

I also find it seems having other plant species helps in the use of nutrients to discourage cyanobacteria.
I believe the reason it is not a good idea to combine Tropheus with mbuna, is they are competitors, and the mbuna are much more aggressive are would tend to kill the Tropheus.

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Thanks guys for the info, I was thinking the red lava rocks. @duanes btw I was only going to put some red zebras, acei, yellow labs, brichardi and socolofi in with them. Would these be ok?

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Thanks guys, I've heard about them being best in a group of other tropheus but my mom picked him/her up during the Petco 50% off sale, so after my employee discount it came up to being about $5 rather than $35. That was the only one that they had and now if they get anymore they will be $35, which is ok but I wanted the colors of mbuna. That's why I was asking about the more "peaceful" types.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store