Nile perch I.D pls :3

Khapham_1997

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
My house!!!!!
Hey guys. Just got these two mini monster and I would like to know that if they are royal nile perch or common nile perch. Thanks in advance!
P/s: lighting and pics aren't the best. But I'll try to get more soon!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1394587902.268163.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1394587918.832177.jpg

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
im a keeper of nile perch i have 1 at around the 18"mark sold as lates niloticus and im growing 2 smaller ones that are around 6" that where sold as sp.im wondering what you mean about royal? do you mean the pattern on the body which changes depending on there moods and loose as they grow or are you taking about a differant sub species? i got a few books on nile perch but havnt come across royal unless its a common name for one of the following?
l. angustifrons-lake tanganyika region
l. japonicus-easy to identify japan
l.longispinus- lake rudolf region
l.macrophthalmus lake victoria apparently not a pure niloticus
l.mariae big eye lates
l.microlepis-commn name fork tail
l.stopperii-common name sleek lates
as far as im aware {very limited info on the net and inbooks} theres very little difference in the majority of them except the japonicus other than slight regional variations in juvenille patterns.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
Don'tThose things have the potential to reach 6-8' and 300-500+ pounds? although IIRC when River monsters did the show on them they said the average size caught now days is closer to 180 pounds. Still a huge powerful fish. Where do you intend to keep it when it gets larger and what will you feed it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store