DIY water heaters

Skulltronix

Feeder Fish
Feb 16, 2014
California
Hi
I'm Jerry and I'm new to the forum. I'm here to suck out your knowledge! And maybe share some.
I've been an aquarium owner for over 50 years but this year I move to a large tank. 365 gallons from 190 gallons.
In the past I have used the in-tank glass tube heaters but this new tank will require too high an electric bill for that approach.
So I'm looking at hooking into the house gas water heater. I'm interested in how others have done it. And I may have new ideas of my own to try of nothing pans out in my research.

The new tank will have the same kind of under gravel filtration system I've been using for 20 years on the 190 tank. But I'm also adding a 14" diameter pool sand filter, inline UV sterilizer and some kind of inline heater.

The existing aquarium is drained to the yard to water the grass and the tank slowly drains the tank continuously. An auto refill system keeps the tank full.

8- 10 watt RGB LED Floodlights are on individual remote control for brightness and color. The lighting system cost $17 per light on Amazon. My lights are one foot above the aquarium but they are waterproof and could be positioned at or below water level.

I do not keep live plants. Just too messy for me. And the new tank will be 42" high so getting in for maintenance of plants is out of the question.

I'd like to hear cheap ways to heat the tank. And I'll be sure to post pics of the new tank when it is setup in a couple of weeks.

My tip of the day: Use 100% silicone and some of the sand/ gravel from your tank to encase each plastic plant around the base. A nice heavy ball of gravel/sand on each plant (instead of the plastic tray) will keep them from ever floating and look better.
Thanks!

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Welcome to the forum Jerry. Sounds like an awesome setup.

In regards to heating with natural gas, you might be interested in this thread and the threads (links) shared within it: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...ank-with-Natural-Gas&highlight=heat+exchanger

I would try insulating the non-viewing panels of the tank with rigid insulation and having lids built for your tank if it doesn't already have lids. The majority of heat is lost through the water's surface and having lids will help a ton.

I would think that you should be fine with 1,000W of heaters or less and I would suggest trying to heat with electric heaters before messing with your house water heater. I don't think 365G is large enough to warrant converting to gas, unless the tank is being kept in a room that gets really cold (<40F).

Jehmco has 300W Eheim Jager heaters for sale ($22 each) and you can get a Ranco Temp Controller (ETCI-1R) for $83 here

If you get three Jagers (total of 900 watts) and the Ranco temperature controller you'll have a solid (reliable) electric heating system for ~$150.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store