Question regarding aquarium soil...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
So i asked this question on AC, but thought i would also ask it here...

Question: how often (if ever) do you replace your aquarium soil?

As in literally ripping up the whole tank and re-doing the whole thing?

I ask because my first planted tank is now about 2 to maybe 2.5 years old an never had any major revamps so to speak... But from what i've heard over here is that its common practice to replace all your soil every 2 years...

So basically just wondering, is it maybe time for me to do a major cleanup?

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
You're talking dirted tanks right?

I think it really depends on how the plants are doing, if you are low or high tech, and what plants you have.

I've seen low tech dirted tanks use the same substrate for 5+, 10+ years, I've re-done my 10 gallon in the past after a year or two because crypts took over and killed all the nutrients....

I think even if the soil was depleted of its nutrients though, that you could avoid a total re-scape if you just started dosing and adding root tabs and the like. Treating it as if it was a sand only tank. But to my knowledge, I think it would take a long while for a dirted tank to lose the value of its dirt.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Man that would be a ton of work! I always thought aged substrate was better for planted tanks but maybe soil is different. I would think nutrients would still find their way into the substrate despite the age.....

If your plants are having serious difficencies and you had newish light bulbs, adequate fertz and normal water parameters then I would attribute it to your soil, but only then would I replace!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thanks bud, already got an answer that yes, ADA soil loses its nutrients over time and depending on plants kept may need replacing,..

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Thanks bud, already got an answer that yes, ADA soil loses its nutrients over time and depending on plants kept may need replacing,..

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
it does lose it nutrients after 6 months , but if you continue to fert or add root tabs i dont see there a need to change soil even rescaping the layout.

my ada soil has been running for 5 years and still counting ....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store