Red worms or compost warms

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Im trying to find a good deal on worms for my fish and came across red wigglers or red worms. The ones that everyone seems to be selling for composting. Are these okay to feed to my fish? I found a really good deal, out beating my 50 nightcrawlers for under 10 bucks. Their stated organic too if that helps.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've fed my fish worms from a compost pile with no problems, just make sure worm's are free of debris. I normally collect worms off my drive way after a good rain storm. Also some LFS are starting to sell them.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
The red worms are fine, I feed them to my fish as a treat. They are commonly used as fishing bait and you can get a container at Walmart in the bait fridge for@ $3-4 for 50. I've been saving the containers of media for use in a DIY worm farm once I feel I have enough

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Search "red wiggler culture" on here.

I've been culturing and feeding them to my cichlids and other fish for years. Just rinse them off and drop them in (or cut/tear them into smaller pieces for smaller fish).

Get them from a local farmer by the pound (search Craigslist) instead of Wal-mart.

Matt

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
Search "red wiggler culture" on here.

I've been culturing and feeding them to my cichlids and other fish for years. Just rinse them off and drop them in (or cut/tear them into smaller pieces for smaller fish).

Get them from a local farmer by the pound (search Craigslist) instead of Wal-mart.

Matt
+1. I got mine from uncle Jim's worm farm online and was happy with the purchase. I feed 60-100 a week and my numbers never seem to noticeably drop. Super easy to raise and cheap. I started out with 2000.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
You can get red wigglers on ebay organic etc, 250 for $15 shipped.

Sent from my SCH-R530X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Okay. What about flushing them? Cuz i can get 1000 for 15 bucks n when i was looking at his worms he told me to flush them, when i asked he just said with water. But thats not what i though flushing was.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
I don't flush them, whatever that means.

I grab a handfull from the bin, put them in a plastic cup, rinse them off a couple of times and hand feed to the fish...

Matt
This is all I do as well. I like to uses Dixie cup because it's easier to regulate the water flowing back out of the cup when rinsing. Nothing to it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store