Water filter for drip water change system

ryanoh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Memphis, TN
Hey MFK,

I finally moved into a house where it seems like I'm going to be able to set up a continuous drip system for my 90 gallon tank. Im all set up for the drain, so I just need to purchase the filter system from The Filter Guys now, but I'm not sure which one to buy.

Correctly if I'm wrong, but it mostly comes down to if the city adds chlorine or chloramine to the water, right?

I tweeted at my water provider to see if they could just answer that simple question, and they replied with this chart. Unfortunately, I don't really have the knowledge to know how to read that. Could someone a little more familiar with this let me know what kind of filter to buy?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Nothing comes up when I click the link.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

You could also simply get a Chemilizer and inject water conditioner inline. You could read up in Neo's drip thread in our Articles forum if that's worth a consideration for you. It's all personal preference. Either you change the filters regularly, or you refill the reservoir for water conditioner. I use the Chemilizer and am happy with it.

HarleyK

ryanoh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Memphis, TN
The Chemilizer seems like a lot more expensive of an option, and not one that I've done a lot of research on. I guess I'll look more into it, but it seems better to replace the filters than have to replaced the water conditioner if only for the sizable upfront cost.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
You could also buy the $100 filter set from thefilterguys.biz

I love mine.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Strange.

The waste water website in my city specifically says they treat with chloramine.

Reading that thoug they don't list any amines in the VOC list so I'm thinking they treat with chlorine.

Or you could just get modules for both :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I've got a drip system and pls do your reserch on the fish youve got. I did not know Cichla and carbon do not mix, now I've got some pricey fish with HITH. Im in the works of either switching my drip system or just moving out of Cichla.

I've got chloramines and a 3 stage filter from the filterguys. Roughly 80 gpd on a 300gl

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I've got a drip system and pls do your reserch on the fish youve got. I did not know Cichla and carbon do not mix, now I've got some pricey fish with HITH. Im in the works of either switching my drip system or just moving out of Cichla.

I've got chloramines and a 3 stage filter from the filterguys. Roughly 80 gpd on a 300gl
Sorry, but I thought hole in the head was a parasite.? Are you sure it's from carbon?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Not sure to be honest, I would assume so. Anything abnormal has a scientific label.
From what I'm told, carbon gives Cichla HITH.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store