Solar panels

hoosier_cichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2012
Bloomington, Indiana
Does anybody run their large system on a solar panel? Been doing some research and you can pick on up now for a couple hundred bucks. Was considering running a single solar panel into the garage and running one 600 gallon tank solely on that to save energy costs. It would pay for itself in saved money in a matter of months.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I looked into it a little. What solar kit are you looking at ? How many watts worth does the panel produce?

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Bizarroterl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
SJ, CA
Are you planning on running pump(s), light(s), and heater at night? Do you have room for batteries? Did you include the price of batteries & controller?

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I don't remember which thread it was but someone had a build on here where they ran the plumbing for their garage tank back and forth on the roof to heat the water. They were in the southwest though, I think maybe Arizona.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I'd also like to learn about solar power...but why not focus on reducing power usage first.

I run a fishroom pushing 60 tanks, including a 180g, two 150g and several other large tanks on ~ $100 per month by:

1) Only heating tanks that need it (fishroom's in my basement and stays at ~70F in the winter, slightly warmer in the summer), I keep mostly Central American and Uruguayan cichlids and livebearers. I have more spawning than I know what to do at the lower end of the temperature scale.

2) Running almost exclusively air-driven (box, sponge, Poret w/air lifter) filters. Big pumps and canister filters suck power. On my larger tanks, I user "dump" filters (sump on top of the tank) and get much more flow at lower power use because of less head loss (than a sump that requires 6 foot or more pumping uphill).

3) Overhead lighting and use of timers. I have overhead vs. individual lights on the tanks in my fishroom. When I'm at work, I have one 14W fluorescent bulb for the whole room...when I'm home, I light the whole room with 64W...but only when I'm in the room. The fish don't need it.

When I hear about people filtering tanks with multiple FX5s, monster pumps, keeping them at 86F, keeping heavy lights in 24x7, I cringe. Less is more :)

Matt

hoosier_cichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2012
Bloomington, Indiana
Been doing a little more research and I think what I will end up doing is buying a small kit, getting it installed and once or twice a year adding a new panel until it is producing enough power to gain a credit. Rather than powering the system by itself

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I checked into solar power a couple years ago with an electrician friend and he told me no way. Just cost too much right now to make it worth it. Prices starting between 30 to 50k to run my house with tanks.
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hoosier_cichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2012
Bloomington, Indiana
They roughly cost $00.74 a watt and just getting one or two 100 watt units and for right around $100 each whenever I have an extra hundred that would go to waste I think I'll eventually start to save money on electric. It's not going to be a instant gratification, more like a prolonged one. But to eventually have enough power to break even or even turn the meter back Would be awesome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store