ADVANCED SPONGE FILTER THEORY

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
OKAY....SO you keepers that use (or have used) sponge filters what is YOUR experience as far as powering these vastly underrated filters, I have been using sponge filters for several years,,and am currently debating,is it "better" to use air driven or powerhead driven sponges for BIO.... AND IF YOU LIKE POWERHEADS, how about gph... whats your formula for bio/ mechanichal trade-off... thanks for your time....LEE

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
My opinion is power sponge filter is always better for mechanical filtration and water movement. This would be good for fish that like water movement. You will need to clean the sponge weekly since they will clog fast.

Air power sponge filter is simple and cost effective but does a poor job with mechanical filter. I have used Lee internal filter with bio rings. I don't know how effective they are but water tested with no ammonia.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
good start ,, thanks:)

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
Today I picked up a cascade bio sponge for their canister filter, trimmed it and wrapped it around my circulation pump,secured it with zip ties, in the two hours its been running its amazing how much junk its trapped,kind of a cheap way of going about things but I figured it was worth a shot, hasn't slowed down the output much either. uploadfromtaptalk1394666004440.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Today I picked up a cascade bio sponge for their canister filter, trimmed it and wrapped it around my circulation pump,secured it with zip ties, in the two hours its been running its amazing how much junk its trapped,kind of a cheap way of going about things but I figured it was worth a shot, hasn't slowed down the output much either. View attachment 997281

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
that's a good modification...keep us updated on the progress:)

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I've just in the last year started using a sponge filter, I've only used air driven but am very happy with how my waters been

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I have been using mostly powerheads , but I am thinking about air driven being a good idea..less gunk = less maintenance= more stable params (lots less cleaning)

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Air driven is great for Bio especially during emergencies like a power outage where you can use a cheap 7$ battery powered air pump to maintain Bio filtration and save you fish!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
i run 2 -7" sponge filters in the 180, its strictly mech, GPH on one is 720 and 680 on the other. these need to be rinsed once a week or they cullaps and impellers start cavitating. they are connected to the intakes for reverse under gravel bio filter system. I also run other bio filters on the tank, its a bottom drilled tank and did not want to waste the extra filtration option its provides.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store