Drains size for 540 Gallon?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
With 6 bulkheads (4 drains and 2 returns) in 2 Overflows on a 540 Gallon tank, I want a Herbie style overflow, with the pumps/flowrates given....do I use 1.5 or 2 inch drain lines? I should design for 2 of the 4 drains stopping completely? So two drains need to be able to drain the entire output of the pumps. 1.5 inch drain lines will do that? 2 inch? And where do I get REAL flow capacity of drains on a tank? There MUST be some definitive answer out there. I've looked and all I've found is contradictory answers. For example, I've read a 1 inch drain will handle 1200 GPH, 300 GPH, 600 GPH. Which is it?!
Tank Drawing.png

Tank Drawing.png

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
You'll never get definitive answers because it depends on your plumbing. It's not just your pipe size, but the length of it and if there are any bends, etc. it's amazing in a low pressure system how much a bend or kink can reduce flow.

If you really want to know you'd have to calculate it. You'd balance the pressure drop across your plumbing with the head pressure of water to get flow rate. Something like this could be a starting point.

http://www.pressure-drop.com/Online-Calculator/

Or you just oversize the plumbing and pumps and use throttling valves.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Arrrghhhhh!!!!! Ok. How about this. Will a pair of 2 inch drains, each vertical with a single 45 degree bend and perhaps a ball valve, handle the flow of my pumps in this tank?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
How much flow are you actually going to put through the tank? I have standard stand pipes and they are 2 inch(2-2inch drains) and I run a reeflo barracuda on my 600 gallon tank with no problems. I always like going bigger than smaller on the drains. A 1.5 standard drain is good for about 1500-1800 gph with the higher end being really close to max. I had a mag 18 returning through a 1.5 and it was just enough to keep up with it, but what head and what else was making the flow a little less is not completely known.

Arrrghhhhh!!!!! Ok. How about this. Will a pair of 2 inch drains, each vertical with a single 45 degree bend and perhaps a ball valve, handle the flow of my pumps in this tank?

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Ya'll are making my point...or one of my points. Joe, your post says a a 1 inch line will drain 960 gph. DB, your post says a 1 inch line will drain 600 gph. This link I read last night says that a 1 inch line will only really safely drain 300 gph. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/SystemPIX/PlumbingPix/Oneinchart.htm I need to know what 1.5 inch and 2 inch lines will drain so I can order a tank. So, will a 2 inch line drain 1300 gph, 3300 gph, or 2400 gph? Will a 1.5 inch line drain 1350 gph, 2100 gph, or 3300 gph. Let's assume my drains lines will be straight with no 45's--I'll put my sump directly below the bulkheads.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
Sorry I don't have time to look up the thread with the info you need. Someone may have linked it already. The downs in flow ratings you are seeing is due to the variation at partial or full siphon. At full siphon the same size pipe will flow much more than at partial siphon.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I'm gonna flow 3592 GPH through the sump with 2 Max-Flow 2400's. So 1.5 inch drains would work, but that'd be at the high end of their capacity. 2 inch drains would be the way to go, then..
How much flow are you actually going to put through the tank? I have standard stand pipes and they are 2 inch(2-2inch drains) and I run a reeflo barracuda on my 600 gallon tank with no problems. I always like going bigger than smaller on the drains. A 1.5 standard drain is good for about 1500-1800 gph with the higher end being really close to max. I had a mag 18 returning through a 1.5 and it was just enough to keep up with it, but what head and what else was making the flow a little less is not completely known.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store