Beginner in Live Plants.

Little Soprano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
fish tank 2.jpg

These are the plants we recently picked up from a few of our local pet stores (Petco and VI Pets). I know the one on the left of the Rainbow Shark is a Wysteria (I THINK), though I can't remember the name of the moss or the potted plant in the teacup. We also have added a few more of the moss, as the few ghost shrimp we have, really seem to love it. I know the water is pretty cloudy, but our Filter decided it was retiring last night after a big tank clean and water change (before we put the plants in), though we picked up a new one about 7/8 hours ago, so it's cleared up quite a bit.

Both myself and my BF are quite new to live plants in freshwater aquariums, so please excuse my Noob-ness.

Current Setup:
40 Gallon Long
Marineland Penguin Biowheel 200 (carbon filter)
Air stone (under the rocks)
There is also an air pump on the far right side, that is currently fairly wide open, though we can fine tune it pretty well, to reduce the amount of oxygen if necessary.
Aqueon Floramax (I believe that is the name, can look at box that went out with the filter) T8 Florescent-1 48" bulb

Fish:
Pool Comet-once it gets warm enough, will be transferred out. Was a cheap impulse buy to add to the pond, and was in great shape, so he's temporary.
Rainbow Shark
Parrot Cichlid
3 GLOfish-Danios Type
3 GLOfish-Tetra Type
Chinese Algae Eater
2 Ghost Shrimp
Nitrite and Chinese Trap Door Snails
(Trap doors are raised mostly in tank, then transferred to Koi Pond)

We have two potted Bamboo like plants (I told you I was a NOOB), one of the Wysteria, and three bunches of the moss.
Picked up these today:
Seachem's Activate-phosphorus
Seachem's Propel-Iron
Seachem's Synthesis-nitrate, organic nitrogen, ammonia-cal)
I dosed the tank with the proper amount using a millimeter syringe.

I've been reading about all of the plant stuff and it's just completely overwhelming me.

My questions-so far:
Does the Wysteria need to be planted? Currently it's sitting inbetween two large rocks to hold it down, though it's not being crushed. If so, how do I go about doing so? We have fairly large gravel, but it's loose for the most part.

What's the proper method for planting Wysteria? Fertilizers and substrates? Is the gravel okay? Can I put the substrate down where the plant will be placed, and loosely place gravel around the plant on top of the substrate?

CO2. Is it necessary for what I have planted? Does the oxygen flow need to be cut down? I'm willing to do a cheap CO2 setup-until I know I can keep plants without killing them, but would like to avoid it if possible as the tank dump scares me.

Our light is on a timer, going on around 8am and shutting off at 10pm. Does this need adjusting?

The mosses-will they grow on the lava type stones, or do they need driftwood? We do have quite a bit of driftwood from the Lake shore. Is this useable if boiled?

Last one-will the plants help to cut down on the amount of algae? I'm assuming it's been liking our lighting schedule, but it's been fighting us quite a lot. We mostly had the light on for most of the day, as the Rainbow Shark got Anchor worms, and after we pulled them out of him a year ago, I was fairly worried, and haven't gotten around to fixing the timers.

Well those are my questions thus far. If anybody could answer them, or even just one, I would REALLY appreciate. We are trying to get it right, and if it goes as planned, and once we get more experienced, we hope to green up the tank a bit more!

-Thank you in advance, the biggest plant noob there is.

fish tank 2.jpg

Little Soprano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
Since for some reason I can't find the edit button (lack of sleep after catastrophes with tank last night), the back panel of the left tank lid shattered, and temporarily we duck taped it together just to keep a tight seal on the tank, so it looks pretty dark. It has been replaced since though. In case that is important information.

Little Soprano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
I've been reading more and it's been saying that while a plant "will" grow in the gravel we have it's not the best situation, and said putting substrate under the gravel might help. Is there any way to do this without making a huge mess in the tank or emptying the whole tank? We have quite a bit of fish and the shrimps/snails as well, so is that necessary? I did see fertilizer tablets you can bury next to the plants, are they worth it? Or will the supplements we are adding help enough?

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
There's lots to cover here.
First: wysteria can be attached to a rock or wood with a rubber band until it roots itself.
Second: I wouldn't start with co2 or fertilizer until you really need it. You'll know by watching your plants and seeing if the leafs start turning colors.
If you start overdosing you'll end up with algae problems.
Root tabs would be great to start with thou.
When starting with co2 and fertilizers your probably going to need more intense lighting with shorter periods of time. 6 to 8 hrs.
Third: some aeration is fine but most of the time, the ripple from the filter is enough.
Forth: gravel can work but not the best.
Eco Complete is what I use. You can start with a bag and layer it on top. It will sink to the bottom after a week then add some more.
I hope this gets you started.
This worked for me and I hope it helps.
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Little Soprano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
There's lots to cover here.
First: wysteria can be attached to a rock or wood with a rubber band until it roots itself.
Second: I wouldn't start with co2 or fertilizer until you really need it. You'll know by watching your plants and seeing if the leafs start turning colors.
If you start overdosing you'll end up with algae problems.
Root tabs would be great to start with thou.
When starting with co2 and fertilizers your probably going to need more intense lighting with shorter periods of time. 6 to 8 hrs.
Third: some aeration is fine but most of the time, the ripple from the filter is enough.
Forth: gravel can work but not the best.
Eco Complete is what I use. You can start with a bag and layer it on top. It will sink to the bottom after a week then add some more.
I hope this gets you started.
This worked for me and I hope it helps.
Thank you much for your reply! I really appreciate it! We were told by one of the fish stores by us (they have a beautiful display tank) to use the supplements, but I don't know if that was a sale technique or not. Should I turn down the aerator on the one side of the tank? I think the tank is a bit overcrowded with the Comet in there atm, but will they all be okay with say just the filter ripple and air stone?

Does fishing line work to attach the Wysteria? It's wedged in between two rocks, and hasn't moved much. We are going to a bigger LFS tonight to get other things we need, as I really want to try and get this right the first time, and not kill everything. The fish seem SO much happier with the plants. Even our shy little Parrot Cichlid is starting to come out of his little cave more. The Rainbow Shark is in heaven, and the Shrimps have been hanging out in the moss today, even with the Rainbow Shark coming along and taking a look at them (he's probably the most gentle fish in the tank, same with Cichlid. The Comet is the mean one).

Will the gravel being on top of the Eco Complete be okay? The other two plants are potted, and I was hoping I might be able to keep them like that, though if they start showing they need more space to grow out, we can most definitely plant them if needed. What brand of Root tabs would you recommend? VI Pets carries Seachem's tablets, if they are any good. He recommended the Seachem products we have atm, and actually displays there whole line on top of his planted tank. Do you just place the tablets in the gravel next to where the plant will or is growing roots?

Thank you again! Myself and my BF really appreciate your response! Love the look of the tank with plants, and if all goes well, we hope to expand on it, and if needed start looking into CO2 as well!

thohman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2014
Michigan
I am also from GR area and wondering what ViPets you went to? And what petsmart? Some of the people at a few of these places are real asses. I very highly recommend blue fish aquarium on Wilson by 28th. Good people and don't really steer you wrong just for a sale. Try to go on non peak hours though. They get busy.

Also hi from a fellow Grand Rapids person. Well wyoming. Whatever. First person I've seen on here.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
I haven't had time to read through all of this, but I will say this, that plant on the right, its not aquatic and will rot away in a few weeks/months.

Although if you got a pic with less glare I could be more certain, but it looks like a Dracean (however you spell it) which is a house plant and not an aquatic plant.

Do you have buckets? Not for nothing, I want to just tell you that it has been my experience that going from plants to no plants tends to be a lot easier and smoother if you just re-prep the tank for plants (basically, change out the substrate for better plant specific substrate and make sure you have the lights to grow the plants you want to grow).

I find that tanks tend to be better if they have either a lot of plants, or are kept without plants....or at least its easier to understand the balance. Although what you have is pretty easy, I'm just saying its something to think about as you decide to get further into the madness that is a planted tank :p

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Thank you much for your reply! I really appreciate it! We were told by one of the fish stores by us (they have a beautiful display tank) to use the supplements, but I don't know if that was a sale technique or not. Should I turn down the aerator on the one side of the tank? I think the tank is a bit overcrowded with the Comet in there atm, but will they all be okay with say just the filter ripple and air stone?

Does fishing line work to attach the Wysteria? It's wedged in between two rocks, and hasn't moved much. We are going to a bigger LFS tonight to get other things we need, as I really want to try and get this right the first time, and not kill everything. The fish seem SO much happier with the plants. Even our shy little Parrot Cichlid is starting to come out of his little cave more. The Rainbow Shark is in heaven, and the Shrimps have been hanging out in the moss today, even with the Rainbow Shark coming along and taking a look at them (he's probably the most gentle fish in the tank, same with Cichlid. The Comet is the mean one).

Will the gravel being on top of the Eco Complete be okay? The other two plants are potted, and I was hoping I might be able to keep them like that, though if they start showing they need more space to grow out, we can most definitely plant them if needed. What brand of Root tabs would you recommend? VI Pets carries Seachem's tablets, if they are any good. He recommended the Seachem products we have atm, and actually displays there whole line on top of his planted tank. Do you just place the tablets in the gravel next to where the plant will or is growing roots?

Thank you again! Myself and my BF really appreciate your response! Love the look of the tank with plants, and if all goes well, we hope to expand on it, and if needed start looking into CO2 as well!
Fishing line will work.
I use seachem root tabs.
Co2 can be tricky. Lots of plants with the right water conditions , plenty of fertilizer, and tons of intense light needed.

IMO plants are more difficult than fish.
Don't give up if plants don't work the first time.

Also remember: never add salt and it might be a good idea to use a percentage of RO water with water changes.

Little Soprano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
I am also from GR area and wondering what ViPets you went to? And what petsmart? Some of the people at a few of these places are real asses. I very highly recommend blue fish aquarium on Wilson by 28th. Good people and don't really steer you wrong just for a sale. Try to go on non peak hours though. They get busy.

Also hi from a fellow Grand Rapids person. Well wyoming. Whatever. First person I've seen on here.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thats where we are actually going today!

Little Soprano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
I haven't had time to read through all of this, but I will say this, that plant on the right, its not aquatic and will rot away in a few weeks/months.

Although if you got a pic with less glare I could be more certain, but it looks like a Dracean (however you spell it) which is a house plant and not an aquatic plant.

Do you have buckets? Not for nothing, I want to just tell you that it has been my experience that going from plants to no plants tends to be a lot easier and smoother if you just re-prep the tank for plants (basically, change out the substrate for better plant specific substrate and make sure you have the lights to grow the plants you want to grow).

I find that tanks tend to be better if they have either a lot of plants, or are kept without plants....or at least its easier to understand the balance. Although what you have is pretty easy, I'm just saying its something to think about as you decide to get further into the madness that is a planted tank :p
My BF just ordered a handful more plants that are supposed to be relatively easy to take care of and will be good in low light. We also got some more of the java moss as the shrimps have been enjoying it quite a lot.

Yeah I just read about that one and it says it's not meant for aquariums. Stupid Petco LOL. Normally our Petco is quite knowledgeable, and with tetras, corys, zebras and other schooling fish, if you don't buy them in groups of 3 or more, they won't sell them to you. And their filter and lighting aisles are EXCELLENT. The VI Pets we've had SOME luck with, but they were the people who sold us snails which carried the Anchor Worms and put our shark through hell and back. By the time we finally got rid of them, we had spent 30 bucks on chemicals, his fins looked horrendous and he almost looked albino. Though he's survived and looks spectacular now. They did end up quarantining and resetting all the tanks on that filter system though. So I think from now on we'll probably stick with Petco as far as cheap Tetras and other stuff, but plants clearly not.

We do have buckets, and actually a few 300 gallon plastic pond tanks for the pond, so it wouldn't be impossible to drain the tank and change everything, but it would be a PITA.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store