Having a tank made, need ideas on FX6 with Eurobracing

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Hi all. I am having a tank made, so all options are up to me, and dimensions are 72 x 36 x 24. Options for bracing include Eurobracing and cross-bracing. Cross-bracing makes it easy for me to have heaters, airline and two FX6s (my plan for filtration) getting into the tank, but is not the best looking. Eurobracing is more complicated. They can drill holes in the bracing for me to feed the stuff through... I don't think I would like the look of using the stock FX6 clips in the manner the manual suggests. Does anyone do this and do you have any pics? I was also wondering if there is some sort of watertight solution with holes drilled on the back, and a fixture (90 degree) to which I could attach the intake and outputs, and just attach the hosing going to the canister to the outside part of the fixture. Would really appreciate any thoughts.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Yea you can certainly drill in the back of the tank and put bulkheads for an fx5 supply and return, this is fairly common.

You could also have a canopy and then not care what the top looks like since you'll never see it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Thanks. Can you link to any threads that show bulkheads for FX5 or FX6? I am sure you are right, I would just like to see what people have done (most particularly, exactly the right size and coupling mechanism inside and outside.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
If you haven't already bought the FX filters, I would suggest you look into Eheim 2262. They are a better, more reliable and more versatile filter.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
+1 on the 2262. I own 3 and 1 fx5.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I hard plumbed my FX5 on my 180. I don't use any of the stock hardware past the shutoffs on the top of the unit. Everything goes through a bulkhead.

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Thanks all for the feedback. I have been mulling the 2262. I had one before and like everyone says, it is a great beast of a filter. That said, it is also a lot more expensive and I have been quite impressed by the two FX6s I have running on other tanks.

Either way I end up going (I have a couple of months to decide as the manufacturer is backlogged), I am having the manufacturer drill four holes in the back of the tank, near the top. But what "hardware" should I get to seal the hole and attach the intake, output to inside and the hoses to on the outside? Do I use silicone to seal it up? In case it is not obvious, I have no experience with this...should I rely on a plumber?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The proper fittings you need to insert through a glass hole is called a bulkhead fitting. I'm sure someone will post the proper size BH fitting that is appropriate for the FX6 and then you can inform your manufacturer of the size hole you will need in the glass.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
FX5 use 1" tubing, so you would need a 1" bulkhead. The hole could be somewhere around 1 3/4".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store