is it possible to feed a 6 inch baby spotted gar dead food or pellet ?

benn371

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I found this 6 inch baby spotted gar in a LFS and I've inquired about the feeding habits they said that its hard to feed baby gars dead food or pelllets, you have to feed him live feeders for like 5 or 6 months till he gets almost 12 or more inches he said. But I found a few videos in internet that they feeding on mini pellets so I need to have the expert view on this since baby gars need to be fed multiple times a day.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
it is depend on the fish, some of them might not be as picky as other or they are stunted due to being starve at the LFS. Fish in those case can just take dead fish and even pellet very easy. The advice on feeding live is to make them have to access to food 24/7 until they are old enough to endure the starving with out affecting their max size latter on. I'm not remember very good about this but I think Solomon said that depend on the way you feed the fish when it is till a "young of the year" fish will make it stop growing around 18'' or grow pass 22'' in home aquarium.

benn371

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
yes he is in mint condition as this LFS keeps every fish with proper care and they've been fed with live feeders likes guppeies so far.

benn371

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
it is depend on the fish, some of them might not be as picky as other or they are stunted due to being starve at the LFS. Fish in those case can just take dead fish and even pellet very easy. The advice on feeding live is to make them have to access to food 24/7 until they are old enough to endure the starving with out affecting their max size latter on. I'm not remember very good about this but I think Solomon said that depend on the way you feed the fish when it is till a "young of the year" fish will make it stop growing around 18'' or grow pass 22'' in home aquarium.
Thanks man, I'll throw in guppies as they've done in the LFS, so as you said they'll have access to food 24/7, stunned growth I'm no expert on this I try to get details about him and will post it over here.. Thanks for helping and since its Spotted gar do you think it'll be happy in 150 gallon long tank ?

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
150 with the right dimension(2ft/60cm wide) should be fine for quite a few years. But for now you have to keep it in a smaller tank(round 20 gallon should be fine). It is to prevent it from take up enough speed and bang its' head into the tank wall and break the back. when it grow up to about 10'', it can be safe to keep him in the 150 gallon.

benn371

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mine was about 8" and took dead strait away. Is it in good condition? If it is then just starve it for a little while and it will take it :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
What food did you fed him when he's 8 inches ?? and what do you feed him now and what size is he now ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store