outdoor rocks question

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Hey guys

I was recently given a large quantity of beautiful outdoor rocks that i will be adding to my tanks. I scrubbed them and tested them with vinegar, and have soaked them for 24 hours. Im afraid to boil them or bake them as i have heard horror stories of exploding rocks... will they be safe after a simple 24 hour soak? They came from a landscaping agency.

In a related matter, i purchased a piece of driftwood from a friend recently. He soaked it for two weeks but it wouldnt fit in his tank in the end. It has been out of water for a solid month. How long should i soak it for?
Thanks
Much love

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I should note that the scrubbing was thoroughly thorough.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Did you use vinegar to scrub the rocks or just water? The whole boiling thing is funny to me, you obviously don't do it like an egg and leave it in there a long time, don't even let go of it w/ the tongs, dip it for a few seconds and it should be fine, soaking them in still water for too long may actually produce negative effects. Also make sure they weren't used in someone's yard, if there fresh should be good but who knows if pesticides leech into ornamental rocks lol

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
They were previously used to fill a rainwater drainage ditch. I tested them with vinegar after scrubbing then, and then scrubbed again, so in a sense they were given a mild vinegar bath.

I have heard it said that they must be boiled for 45 minutes @_@

That sounds paranoid to me, but i have no idea, and the stakes are high.

Using tongs isnt really an option, these are heavy rocks.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
IMHO boiling rocks is totally unnecessary. Let em soak in some dechlor for a while, a good rinse and in they go.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Have you done this before Heretik? I added dechlor to the water theyre soaking in. Might have thought of that yesterday

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I never went this far, I'd give em a rinse then soak for an hour or so then another rinse and that's it. Never had any trouble.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
I always collect rocks from creeks and what have you around my area. I've never boiled the rocks I pick just usually pressure wash them and let them soak in dechlor for a day, then rinse thoroughly and into my tank. The one time I wanted to be "safe" I bleached the rocks before pressure washing and then dechlorinating them. Even the bleach was a little overboard I think. I've never had a fish die or anything negative happen when adding stones from river, etc. Sure as hell ain't paying for rocks at the lfs.....LOL!

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Yeah prices on good looking rocks are a joke. Landscapers will give them to you if you ask in a nice manner. I was afraid to bleach these because i didnt want to risk some seeping into the pores. @_@

Ill put them in tonight and post an update whenever its relevant. This is going to be an awesome scape- the driftwood i have looks phenomenal.

Any advice on the driftwood? What do i do about mold that might crop up? How long is a reasonabke amount of time to soak a piece that was previously soaked for two weeks, then left out of a tank for a month?

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Just weigh the piece of wood down with a rock if its still buoyant. It already soaked for a week i would just put it in. Depending on your stocking you might have fish that will eat the algae growth on the wood, but if you don't, just wipe/clean it off whenever you do maintenance on your tank. It wont harm your fish its just an eye sore.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store