4x8 acrylic windows for aquarium

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
Has anyone heard of or used eplastics for their acrylic source.

I'm going to delay my tank build even more to save up for 4 foot tall windows

Here is a link of the 1 1/2 in acrylic on their site
http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plexiglass_Acrylic_Sheet_Clear/PLEXIGLASS-ACRYCLR1-500CCM48X96

I read blacktips 1700 gallon thread and his window is slightly taller than 48 in and he used 1 1/2 in thickness which he also stated was overkill so I may possibly be able to go 1 1/4 on thickness

I was going to go glass cause its cheaper but acrylic is lighter , clearer, and stronger so you get what you pay for. Acrylic seems to be the right decision here as has been suggested to me by silent bob and johng here on monsterfishkeepers

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I was quoted $1300 dollars for a four foot by eight foot viewing window that was two inches thick from Reynolds Plastics. But I mainly buy my acrylic from Delve Plastics in that they are cheaper.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
BTW- mine wasn't exactly 4x8 either that I got from glasscages.. though that's what they advertise them as. They are actually bigger usually. I made the mistake of having the frame premade and then had to redo it because of this. Just a heads up.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
BTW- mine wasn't exactly 4x8 either that I got from glasscages.. though that's what they advertise them as. They are actually bigger usually. I made the mistake of having the frame premade and then had to redo it because of this. Just a heads up.
Most panel goods will always be oversized. Most particle boards and veneer products will be an inch over. Most of the full untouched sheets of acrylic I have laying around are 3/16" oversized. Gives the customer a chance to clean up edges.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Most panel goods will always be oversized. Most particle boards and veneer products will be an inch over. Most of the full untouched sheets of acrylic I have laying around are 3/16" oversized. Gives the customer a chance to clean up edges.
Hmm, then the oversize factor must not be consistent then either as I remember the one i got was 3 or 4 inches taller and wider. It was WAY off.

I thought I had a good idea when I used a stack of gypsum board for a template and to have the frame ready to go. I just presumed an industry standard on size when buying things that are suppose to be 4x8.

Not a big deal. I would never premake a frame again though for something I haven't got on hand yet.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Hmm, then the oversize factor must not be consistent then either as I remember the one i got was 3 or 4 inches taller and wider. It was WAY off.

I thought I had a good idea when I used a stack of gypsum board for a template and to have the frame ready to go. I just presumed an industry standard on size when buying things that are suppose to be 4x8.

Not a big deal. I would never premake a frame again though for something I haven't got on hand yet.
Yeah something wasn't right with that. It could have been a 5x10 that had a couple pieces cut off and that was what was left. We do it all the time at work. Order specific size panel sand get left with one that needs a small part cut from it. Would have been nice if they told you it was that far off.

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
hey guys, thanks for the heads up

yea i wont be doing any working until the windows arrive lol

I have contacted curbell plastics and they priced me $2,000 free shipping for a 4x8 sheet or acrylic, 2 inches thick

I have also contacted reynolds and shared vldesigns pdf file of his tanks build process, as well as shared multiple photos of johng's tanks and the begininng stages of silent bobs stacked build,

he told me he is going to show all these to his design staff and get back to me if i atually need the 2 inches thick or not, HOPEFULLY i can get by with 1.5 , cause it would be even cheaper that way

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store