PH HELP!!!

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
after taking out some crush coral from my tank. i notice the ph went real low.. then i putted some crush coral in the filter (fx5) still the same.. after putting in some large pc of coral ..ph went normal 6.8-7.0 .... help!! i have blood parrot , oscers, NTT, RTC, i change the water today again and it went to 5.5 but after a few hours went low again (4.5).>!!!!!!!! HELP!!!! anything else i can do .. beside putting back the crush coral? because i don't want anything in the bottom

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I guess you don't liuve anywhere near me, we have really high PH here ( 8.0 ).

You can buy chemical drops to raise ph other then that wait for others for their suggestions.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Crushed/pieces of coral work gradually as fish urine works to dissolve it, it doesn't work instantaneously, but could over night.
NY City water has a fairly low buffering capacity (alkalinity, average 14.8mg/L), so along with crushed coral as a buffer, for the stock you have, you probably need to be doing very frequent water changes to keep the fish urine from overwhelming your tank.
You do not state the fish size, or size tank, so it is a bit hard to judge.
I do 30% water changes every other day on my tanks, and here my alkalinity is about 100mg/L from the tap. Each bank of tanks is @ 300gals, with moderate stocking, and I tend to underfeed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store