Did a bit of rescuing yesterday, to good effect

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Didnt have much hope for this guy, a male crowntail betta

uploadfromtaptalk1394887603357.jpg

So, this is my sisters betta. Ive been complaining to her about her care of her pets for as long as i can remember, from rescue cats that went w/o vet appointments to taking her dog out or misting her python. I had to buy her a water bottle for her python, she literally never misted it, had it for months.

This lil guy was on the brink of death, laying in his overcrowded, unfiltered, not even an air bubbler .75 gallon triangle thing. He shared that w/ TWO goldfish for a short time, one of which was won at a carnival, that one lasted about a day. Now there is only a county fair calico goldy in there

He was breathing heavily, gills flared etc so i called her and was like im saving your fish. Put him in my 10 gallon w/ some corys and a lone female jewel cichlid (who he has actually become buddies with), now hes swimming around, but moving fast when hes in open water so getting a better pic isnt possible for now. I think the corys freak him out lol. I also have 2 HOBs and an airstone in there and hes used to stagnant water so i hope he can adjust.

I knew id have to do this eventually, i made a thread since if i can turn it around anyone who sees this hopefully will think twice before just keeping a betta in a tiny lil bowl, and itll be a nice progression thread for it
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1394887444524.jpg

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
Good for you. Hopefully you can help that goldfish too. How old is your sister? I would have a SERIOUS discussion with your parents about her apparent disregard for animal care. She shouldn't have animals until she learns how to properly care for them.

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
Good for you, you're such a good person! :)

I wish your sister would stop keeping animals if she isn't willing to put the work into them though, it's very sad, but at least you are keeping a close eye on her.

PS. Am I blind? I can't see the betta in the picture you posted.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Its a sad story, that hopefully now gets a happy ending. I cant see the betta in the Picture either,

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Yeah im making sure it doesnt get to a ridiculous point.. and i have been doing this since i can remember lol

The betta is inbetween the filter and the wall of the tank, its just his head poking out that you can see, that slightly lighter colored blob hahaha

Its still alive, ive seen it swimming around more then the first day and it isnt laying on the floor of the tank anymore. Still very skittish, its not used to being able to swim, it has eaten some nls 1mm cichlid pellet which i take as a good sign. Itll be cool if i can get this guy back to health, so i can show my sis how gorgeous they can get if properly cared for

Thanks for the support guys, i wish she would stop keeping pets too haha. At least im here to light a fire under her (figure of speech) if i catch her messing up

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Unfortunately it seems the female jewel killed it. Or snacked on its eyes when it died. Might put the calico in there now if I observe it and it seems to not have any transmittable disease.

Another thing, didn't realize this but she was feeding it really really low quality bulk goldfish flakes. I'm figuring it died of malnutrition or the female jewel. She was a lot smaller then him though. At least he got to experience life in a proper tank for a few weeks

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I had a CRAPload of bettas not long ago hat I had to find homes for. For some reason, EVERY male that got placed in a peaceful, community tank died within two weeks. The females tended to be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store