Malaysian Trumpet Snail Info

JoshM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Evanston, IL
Hello,
So I've decided to get some of those MTS's for a future tank. I don't know really know much about them so I would like a little info on them. However, I do know that they do a pretty good job of stirring up the sand bed. Please post some info and personal experiences with them. Thanks :)

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Multiply like mad and hard to get rid of.
You're going to need a small pea puffer or clown loach to keep the numbers in check.
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
I hate them. They eat some aquarium plants. My assassin snails won't even eat them.

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I hate them too. This is the first time I've ever heard of someone trying to get some! You can probably find them hitch hiking on a plant from PetCo or PetSmart.

I second the loach/puffer idea to keep them in the substrate. If you get a baby one lodged next to your filter impeller then it is only a matter of time before the magnet wears and you get a permanent rattle. I had to replace the impeller on my magnum 350 ($35) because they colonized the filter! Man that thing is silent now though.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
In general, I'm not fond of these as well, also because of a impeller issue that cost me coin.

But when I was into Africans and had crazy rock work , I think they were beneficial scavengers.

But once I got them, i had to have a separate set of tools(scrubber, net, bucket, etc)to keep them out of my plant tank. All my other tanks have tiny guys that are in the filter or pop up on glass in the eve. These were babies from my first mts that can on a plant 12+ years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I love them. My main tank is an African setup with CLs and I will go out of my way to buy MTS a couple times a year to keep the sand stirred up and to provide a snack to the loaches. Because I have a dozen Clowns keeping them in check I never have a problem with their population getting out of control

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I just gave away a small bucket full to my LFS. I do that about 3 to 4 times a year.
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store