How much does a small bowfin go for?

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I seen a small Bowfin in a local fish store in Long Island it was about four Inches long and had red on the top fins and tail they were asking $39.99 for it does any one know if that to much for a small one like that. Also do you think I can keep it in a community tank till it gets large,I read that they eat what ever fits in there mouth so I do not think it would be a problem till it got much larger, what do you think. I also want it eating non live food so it may not get that aggressive

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Sounds like a tad bit high but I would pay that for one. They're seasonal and sometimes hard to find. Closest thing to a snakehead in the states these days.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I Have a bunch of Geogphagus,striped barbs two Red Texas cichlids,red shoulder sevrem two green sevrem two fire eels one tire track eel 3 wide bar silver dollars One narrow bar silver dollar 2 Uwaru all the fish a full grown and the are in a 420 gallon tank with a bunch of sinking wood plus to many fish to name all,but in the large tank everybody seems to get along even stuff that I would normally think would raise hell

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Full grown fire eels would swallow that bowfin whole

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
my fire eels are about 14 inches long so I do not think they would bother with it besides that they seem to really like the frozen blood worms the best,when I said my fish were full grown I should have said that there is not anything small enough to get eaten by the Bowfin till it reaches about 10 to 12 inches long all the other fish would not fit in its mouth

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I'm not gonna o into details, but I have a feeling that is 300%-400% of what they paid for it. Kind of a large markup. I'd consider $25-30 fair if you can haggle with them. However I have seen large adults go for a couple hundred dollars before so it really depends on how bad you want one!

It also depends how many they ordered and lost. If they got 10 in and 5 died, then yeah the price is gonna rise so they don't lose as much money, which I consider to be fair to a degree.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Back when TFD was still around I ordered 30 baby bowfin for 85$

Sadly there's nobody like Kingfish Joe anymore :-(

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I just got my Bowfin today I traded a 14 inch fire eel for him,he is a little smaller than I wanted its only about three and half to four inches long. I was going to put him into my 420 community tank but I do not want to take a chance he will get messed up by the bigger fish,so I am going to keep him in my 150 with clown loaches tetras and large assortment of small fish, when I see that some of my fish a diapering I will move him to the other tank what do you guys think of that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store