How long after do jags lay there eggs again

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
It's been almost a month and half before my female jag laid her first set of eggs. The eggs never spawned and it's been a back and forth before the male and female. One week it'll be the male hiding up in the corner of the following week the female is. Will they eventually pair up again? Ever since I got the male about 2 months ago they paired up quick and we're moving the gravel to make they're nest. Ever since she laid her eggs they want nothing to do with each other. I haven't put a divider in yet cause there's no fins missing or anything from they're body. Most of the damage that is very minor that is happening is from them running into things inside the tank. Both jags are the same size about 6-7" the female being the biggest just by a hair. They are in a 100 gallon with a canister filter and a hob filter. I left a slate of rock in the middle for the female to lay eggs.

How long usually is it before the female lays her eggs again and also before they pair up again like the first time. Thanks

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
The short answer is it varies. Had the eggs hatched it should have been around 6 weeks before they paired up again as long as some fry were there for them to raise. If something happens to the fry (they die, you net them all out, etc) it can be as short as a month for her to develops eggs and be ready. But water parameters have to be just right, right amount of lighting and such to simulate what triggers them in nature. My pair had spawned twice now and I've seen them go through their making ritual, digging nests and such waiting for the right trigger. For them it seems to be a large 50% to 65% water change whet the new water is a degree or two lower than the normal temp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store