90g Low-tech planted tank

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
Took a video of my tanks after a water change today. The rainbows are all juvies/young adults and should almost double in size. Herbertaxelrodis, Lacustris, and Boesemani, Some SAE and Roselines in there too.

What do you guys think of this tank? Suggestions?

[video=youtube;epAOpnBgsr8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epAOpnBgsr8&list=HL1394932492&feature=mh_lolz[/video]

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Looks great. By low tech are you saying no C02 ??

Daonni

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
nh
Looks very nice, well done.

Sent from my LG-L38C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Very nice! The high-PAR lighting is what makes it pop! Idk why people make such a big deal about CO2. It's not necessary to keep most aquatic plants. It's too often that I see people neglect their lighting and splurge on a CO2 systems.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
what are the specs of the tank and what plants are in there?

and yah, low tech=no co2
Specs? Dimensions you mean? Standard 90g 48"x48"x24" . I don't know most of the plants in there. Got some locally from a hobbyist in a big bag. 4-5 anubias species, java fern, hornwort, some type of bacopus, amazon sword, jungle val, and whatever that thing is that has become the "carpet" lol. It grows like mad. I pull a large bucket full of it out every couple months.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
Very nice! The high-PAR lighting is what makes it pop! Idk why people make such a big deal about CO2. It's not necessary to keep most aquatic plants. It's too often that I see people neglect their lighting and splurge on a CO2 systems.
Thanks. I'm sure it would grow much more nicely if I had C02 but I don't think it's required. I'm looking to add something that brings out the orange/red a little better on my rainbows.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Its not necessary but it increases growth rate, keeps algae at bay, longer photo period and makes high par tanks efficient (sure I missed a few) And even with low/medium lighting co2 still has benefits. If you want a high tech planted tank with more exotic plant species and have faster more lush growth then co2 is a must! IMO seeing a lush/healthy high tech tank is awesome! Not to say there aren't some nice low tech tanks out there like this one for example :)

Some people go big with filtration, some people go big with planted tanks!

I always see the opposite! People buying very high lighting and having no co2 causing many issues, the most significant being algae!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

urs4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
central mass.
Nice setup..quite the relaxing view you have there :)

I also have a low-tech 90 gal with a few different rainbows.

Praecox, Gertrudae, Marci', and Threadfins

I would get a few more roselines. IM experience they do better in groups >4.
If you run into algae issues, get some horned nerites.

They are awesome little buggers and nice to look at.

Steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store