How to ph up

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So just doing some planning on my 220 future set up I'm tossing around the idea of frontosa. I know they need a ph of 7.8-9 what are natural ways to do so, I want a sand substrate was going to do pool filter sand and minimal rocks what can i add to raise and keep ph up?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Crushed coral will raise the hardness as well as buffer the pH. What is your water supply pH level?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
You can add some crushed coral to you tank to keep the water buffered, but you will need to know the hardness and pH of the replacement water when you do water changes. When I was keeping Africans I made my own buffers and pH supplement by using Epsom salt, baking soda and salt. Their are different recipes for this just search for DIY buffers.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Yea I used to use the same thing for my breeding pair of jags to keep their ph around 8.2 it was a lil pain at first to get it just right I used aquarium salt and baking soda.

I want a sand bottom is there a crushed coral sand? Or maybe I can just add crushed coral to the sump.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I put crushed coral in filter bags in my fx's , just stick a bag in your sump somewhere it works a treat once you get the amount worked out , I'd just start with a couple of tablespoons and monitor the pH for couple of days see if you need to add more or take a bit out , that's how I do it anyway

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chagoi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
NC USA
Baking soda will raise the PH to 8.4 Max no matter how much you add. Adding more will only raise KH and that's a good thing below 80ppm its more likely to have a PH crash. I add B.S. when doing a water change. I had all black substrate with my fronts they looked to dark & there yellow tank mates looked real bad. I removed 1/2 the black & added Carib Sea Aragonite.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
You don't need marine salt, just use table salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store