More natives at segrest farms!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys (this probably should go under natives but I wanted to put it somewhere it would get attention) the other day I made a thread saying that I figured out segrest farms was selling florida brown bullheads as "midnight catfish". Well today I go and look up some more native genus and searching "lepomis" brings up longear sunfish. Also searching "enneacanthus" brings up banded sunfish! Only these fish were not mislabeled as the bullheads are. I'm not sure whether they can legally sell natives without having a permit (which I don't think they do but maybe). Anyways, if you prefer getting fish from your LFS, need some natives, and your LFS can legally sell them then this would be a good way to get a few native species. If anybody else has found any other sites or fish sellers that are selling natives please chime in. Just thought I'd share this with you guys.

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
Florida natives are perfectly legal to sell as long as they aren't endangered or threatened. Then they can only be sold within the state. Also they must be captive bred otherwise they fall within the size and bag limits set by the FWC. Florida doesn't require the fish you catch to be killed. The limits and sizes set are for possession so it's up to you what you want to do with them as long as you have a fishing license of course..

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Florida natives are perfectly legal to sell as long as they aren't endangered or threatened. Then they can only be sold within the state. Also they must be captive bred otherwise they fall within the size and bag limits set by the FWC. Florida doesn't require the fish you catch to be killed. The limits and sizes set are for possession so it's up to you what you want to do with them as long as you have a fishing license of course..

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
DANG! I was looking forward to getting one to go with some cichlids in my 75. Oh well, guess not.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
DANG! I was looking forward to getting one to go with some cichlids in my 75. Oh well, guess not.
Yeah you can! I have never seen an endangered florida fish sold anywhere, and all of the natives they sell are perfectly legal. You can bet that they have a permit! They are also very good about not selling fish that are illegal in your state. When I look at their order form all of the things I can't have in Florida are highlighted in red, and no orders can be placed.

You will often find "butterball" catfish in stores, which are also bullheads. Although when pet stores order their ghost shrimp from local vendors, they can't legally sell the native fish that come in with them. But they can give them away! I have picked up a bunch of brown bullheads and swamp darters that way in the past. One store even "gave" me a tilapia with my shrimp once....he ended up as a feeder as well...

Longear sunfish are not native to the vast majority of Florida.

However, I have heard reports of mislabeling by accident. e.g. finding piranhas mixed in with silver dollars or pacus.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Oh cool! I just wasn't sure because I live in pa and longears are endangered here. I'll have to ask my LFS if they have any natives in with feeders next time I go, I got a guy there :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store