help choosing filter socks

chiroken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2012
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
I'm in the process of converting tanks to sumps and my first project will be a 55g, the final project will be a 300g. To be Bean Animal style with 3 pipes, 2 active. I am trying to figure out how best to choose filter socks. I see there are different sizes, not only in length and width but also in microns? I don't want to be changing them out ever couple of days so the finer they are the more often they will be changed out. Some are washable?

Also about holders. I don't plan on buying expensive acrylic holders, looking for simply DIY so does that affect what type of socks to buy?

Thanks

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
There is a long thread on here about filter socks you should search out. It shows lots of examples on holders, as well as lots of opinions on what is the best. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-filter-bags/=r4emku That is a link to McMaster Carr, where most of us buy filter socks from. You want the largest diameter you can use in the sump you build. That will give the largest surface area for less changing. I use the polypropyleneones, as they seem to be able to handle the most washings. I turn inside out and use about a cup of bleach. Buy enough so that you have a full wash load. Make sure your wife approves of this, or wait till she is not at home to do it. I am lucky. My wife approves of using the washing machine and worms in the fridge. The smaller the smaller the micron you use, the more frequently they need changing. I use a combination of 100 and 200 micron socks. The naked eye can't see a 200 micron particle, but in massive quantity they cloud the water. I use 7" X 14" socks in all of my sumps.

chiroken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks again, I will see if I can find that specific thread. I have come across the mcmaster website (on it just today) but found so many options I ended up leaving more confused than where I got there!

chiroken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks again, I will see if I can find that specific thread. I have come across the mcmaster website (on it just today) but found so many options I ended up leaving more confused than where I got there!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe the most important thing about filter socks, is the uses ambition (or lack there of)
If you don't tend to do regular maintenance, then the less fine is most appropriate.
If you don't mind rinsing or bleaching every other day or so, then a fine micron will work for you.
The finer the micron, the faster they plug up, and need to be maintained.
If you over feed, or have large sloppy eaters for fish, they will easily plug and need cleaning.
Because I have some heavily planted tanks (even with smaller fish), those socks are also easily plugged because of normal plant debris slough off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store