getting my feet wet

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Hello!

So, I currently have only freshwater but my dream tank is a large 500g+ saltwater predator tank (catshark, moray eel, grouper, etc). I've gotten to the point where I can afford the big tank, however my wife and I are planning on buying our "forever home" within the next year or two, so I will wait for that (we are leaning towards new construction, so I would have the tank built into the house).

So what I want to do is turn my 20L into a small saltwater tank just to get a feel for saltwater. I would do FOWLR for sure. What I would ideally like in it is a small lionfish and a small puffer, such as a blue spotter puffer and a mombasa lionfish.

here are my two questions:

-Would these be large enough to survive in my eventual (hopefully) big tank? Or would they get eaten by a grouper or something? I'd rather not have two saltwater tanks in the long run.
-How long would a 20L last with these two until they are too big for it? I'd buy them as small as I could, in the 1-1.5" range seems available. If I had too it wouldn't be the end of the world to get a 50 gallon of CL or something if my big tank dreams are delayed.

My real goal is buying fish not too large for a 20 (for a year or two) but not so small they'll get eaten. I also love lionfish and puffers...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store